Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Rams and Angels
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
msta
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)8:31    Post subject: Rams and Angels Reply with quote

hi,

I've previously been told that a 10G is not enough space for 2 blue/german rams.. so that leaves the question, how much space/size would they require?

further more, what size tank would be needed for 2 rams AND 2 angels?
(I am assuming they are compatible, as I've seen my LFS with a tank of young angels and rams together)

thanks

marco
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a 40g at least... the ram pair needs 30 inch floor space. The angels will get big and mean and need at least a 25g tall for 2 of them. It would probably be easiest and cheaper to go with a 55. Most places have special packages on this size tank - Walmart, etc. sells them for around $158. However, if you really want deals - and you live in the US, go to craigslist.org. Find your nearest city and browse the used market. You can get unbelievable deals!
Cathy
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what size tank would be needed for 2 rams AND 2 angels?

I would reckon a 40 gallon for the Angels, and a 25/30 gallon for the Rams.

If the Angels pair up, they will kill the Rams, A single Angel or even two that aren't a pair can be easy going fish, but if they do pair to breed, you would have trouble.

My choice of tank mates for both Angels or Rams would be Cardinal Tetras and Corys.

Bob
msta
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay then, focusing more on the 2 rams, with tank mates of a tetra or rasbora school and maybe 3/4 cories, what would you say as a 'minimum' tank size?, a 'minimum comfortable' tank size? and a comfortable tank size?

eg, say min = 25-30G, min comfortable = 30-40G, and comfortable = 40-50G.

thanks
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reckon the minimum tank for a pair of Rams (With some tank mates) would be 25 gallons, with comfortable at anything above that (Depending on stock levels of course).

For just a pair of Rams (No other fish) you could go a little smaller in volume, but go for a longer and shallower tank, rather than deep and small footprinted.

Rams do need a mature tank, and very high quality water, I think of them as almost mini Discus in that respect, they really like good water quality.

Tank decor is also important, they like to look around corners etc, some bogwood or stones that give a bit of variation to the depth, and plants are very useful.

Bob

PS Good luck in sexing the Rams, it's not easy especially when they are young, and it's not unkown for fish shop workers to just guess at it, whilst looking like they know what they are doing, it may pay to get them at different times (So they aren't from the same brood) and let one grow so you can sex it, then look for the other one. Do a search on this board, there is an article with pictures about sexing them.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a 20g long for the rams - it would be a 30 inch base. Pencil fish, hatchet fish, tetras for dither fish...

Cathy
msta
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the advice, for now its just a working plan, might upgrade the 14G to sumthing a little bigger at some stage.

altho I'm sure smeone else can take some knowledge away from this too.

thanks
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: