Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Swordtail accident
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MattyP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)0:08    Post subject: Swordtail accident Reply with quote

Well a few weeks ago I was cleaning my 10 gallon tank. I was putting back into the tank when I realized that I forgot to put the intake gaurd on the tube. Before I was able to put it back on, my female swordtail (named Zoe) got to close and was sucked up into it. I stopped it as soon as she got into it... but it wasn't fast enough. The impeller pretty cut really deep into her skin, almost in half. Sad I wasnt able to help her. Her wounds were to severe so all I did was put her into my 5g seclusion tank. I put the male (Named Rupert) in with her. It was a sad sight. well she did die 2 days later. In those 2 days I made sure she was comfortable. I did a 40% water change every day.

Thought I would share this with every one
lindak
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry about your fish. It hurts to lose one in any case, but when you are the primary cause you feel really bad and worthless. I think most of the people on the board have done something to cause a fish death. Unfortunately it's a part of the learning process when keeping fish. There's so much to learn and remember.

I find a lot of fry in the bottom of my Rena filter (they're alive)and I keep forgetting to get a nylon to go over the intake. Your post remind's me today that I need to do that, Thanks.
kezzie
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry Matty. Horrible thing to happen. It was just an accident though and it won't happen again and you did all you could afterwards. Am new to this fishkeeping, previously killed many guppies through pure ignorance, have learnt a lot form this site. What has suprised me most is just how attatched you become to each individual fish, it really is quite upsetting if anything happens to any one of them. Don't beat yourself up about this incident, at least you care about your fish enough to be bothered by the death of one of them and to use this site to learn all you can. Lucky fish. Are you going to get another female for your male?
MattyP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I'm gunna get another female swordtail soon. Just haven't been able to find the RED swordtails. none of my LFS have them in stock. It was a horrible day. Some people try not to get attacted to them, but they end up do getting attached.

29g - 6 Neon Tetras, 2 glowlight tetras, 2(6 babies in 10g) Red Velvet Swordtails, 1 chinese alae eater
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: