Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Brown Algae eating fish
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bigbones
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)19:59    Post subject: Brown Algae eating fish Reply with quote

Can someone tell me some algae eaters that will eat brown algae for sure? I would prefer them to not be plecos because they eat wood, or any fish that are too small because I have some blood parrot cichlids in my tank.
hedgelj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/2006/03/brown-algae.html

If your algae looks like that then yes its brown algae. If it doesn't look through that blog created by one of the members of this site for what type of algae it is. I've primarily only heard of Oto's or SAE for this type of algae. I don't know how they would fare with blood parrots because I have no experience with that type of fish.
HTH
mackenzie5
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)2:49    Post subject: fish that eat brown algae Reply with quote

Hi, had brown algae in my tank and when I put in some sword tails the loved the algae, they ate it up in a flash.

Laughing
bigbones
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah it's definetely brown algae. That article says snails eat it too, but doesn't say what type of snails. Does anyone know if mystery snails will eat it? Also is there any brown algae eater that does good by himself? The otos are too small and the SAE, needs to be in groups.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else is in the tank? If it'll eat otos... I shudder to think. As far as I know, they are the only species that shows a marked preference to diatom algae. Usually a diatom bloom is a temporary stage in a tank's establishment. It goes away on it's own with time. A well-established planted tank shouldn't have any problems with diatom algae, with or without algae eaters. The plants keep it under control.
bigbones
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, brown algae you can get it no matter how established your tank is. This algae grows in low light, so if you have plants and have low light, the brown algae will soon overtake the green, just because that's the conditions in which it grows. I'm not concerned with it though, everyone gets some sort of algae, I just have trouble cleaning it out of my plastic plant because it's so delicate sometimes when I scrub the brown algae out of it, the leaves come off. That's why I wanted a fish to scrub that off. An otto would be perfect for this but I think they need to be in groups and also not sure if they would get along with blood parrots. Does anyone know any of these two questions?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: