Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
discus
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
andiesch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)17:51    Post subject: discus Reply with quote

I want a discus or two and can't seem to find a lot of information on how to keep them. I see they need a 75L tank how many gallons is that? and good links for these guys?
bludempsy
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 liters is about 19 gallons the conversion is about 3.8 liters to a gallon and a good site is www.somethingsphishy.com but just google it you can probably find something better. And to me 19 gallons seems like very small quarters for such a big fish.
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt recommend 20 gallons for discus.

People that house discus in 20g tanks either:
a)have no idea what they are doing
b) have a DAMN good idea what they are doing

in the case of b), it is usually for breeding, or for raising juveniles. Sometimes its for medication or quarantine. The amount of water changes for a 20g tank would be crazy
paul-discus
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be looking at 20 gallons of water per discus, very minimum of 15 gallons. If you know nothing about these beautiful fish please read everything you can, talk to as many people as you can, buy all the right equipment and testing kits and make sure the tank is properley cycled and the water aged before adding the fish. You will also need to make frequent water changes, feed the correct diet and keep the tank clean at all times. If you can commit yourself to looking after these fish for perhaps 10 years then when you feel confident go ahead. If however you have never kept tropicals before I would advise you to perhaps try other fish first.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiftyCalibre wrote:
People that house discus in 20g tanks either:
a)have no idea what they are doing
b) have a DAMN good idea what they are doing

Laughing that is so right!

now cleaning coffee off my computer screen...
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 g per adult discus is the rule most people use. As previous posters said, 20 g is only good for breeding or raise juvis. Not a good set up for someone new into discus.

You should not go with any tank less than 70g since you need to have at least 6 of them in order to spread the picking. I would go for the 125 g with 11 of them. Very impressive and I have people admiring them all the time when they come to visit. Of course, they don't have to do water changes, I DO but I enjoy the discus anyway.

In the past, I have different fish and discus are the most demanding yet I enjoy them most. Go figure!
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.28(Sun)17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, bear in mind that the more discus you have in a tank, the more water changes you need to do. ALWAYS go for the biggest tank you can afford for discus. Water changes are absolutely VITAL for discus. Breeders change almost ALL the water once a day!

Discus are not cheap at all, to buy and to maintain
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: