Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cyano Treatment
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)15:44    Post subject: Cyano Treatment Reply with quote

I have read on the internet about cyano. One thing they say is that u can treat it with 200 mg of erythromycin phosphate per 10 gallons. Do u guys ever experience this?

I know its probably not a good idea to introduce chimical into my tank but..I'm sick of cyano, my tank looks really bad now.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, a dangerous antibiotic that can have negative impacts worse than the cyano. You are addressing the symptom not the cause. Look to other means besides chemicals to improve your system health; additional turnover, water changes, reduce phosphates, better lighting, better filtration, etc.... most of the cyano problems I have seen are temporary and will take care of themselves given good husbandry is taking place. More opinions for you below:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bluegralgae.htm
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with F.B.

I have recently treated two large systems with a product called "Chemiclean", a cyanobacteria medication. This did indeed kill off all the cyano but it also requires large water changes afterward (all that dead cyano is now detritus) and I was quite concerned that it also might affect the beneficial denitrifying bacteria in the tank. ??? Unfortunately, the causes of those outbreaks were unavoidable (power outages that led to low temperatures and bad circulation for days).

In my own tank I am also nursing a borderline case of cyano bacteria caused by an undersized cannister filter for mechanical filtration leading to a build up of detritus. I am treating this by performing multiple water changes/gravel vacuuming and by installing a Fluval FX-5 cannister filter.
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.03(Sat)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright tx,I am now preparing to get the cyano out of my tank. Before I had cyano, I wasnt ready at all, no test kit, didn't even know about cyano..But, I just place an order in a store, for a test kit such pH, nitrate nitrite ammonia, alka, phosphate, calicum...So.. Ill make sure that the water is always top quality. And my coralife skimmer wich I add a couple of week ago seems like it start doing the job..So.. Twisted Evil Here I come cyaanoooo!
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: