Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anabantoids and Rasboras
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
benzed
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)8:22    Post subject: Anabantoids and Rasboras Reply with quote

Greetings, All! I feel a little confused (not difficult, believe me!) On another forum, it was suggested to me that the addition of 2-3 Pearl Gouramis to my tank - which is currently home to a small school of Harlequin Rasboras - would be a nice combination. My tank is 120 litre and quite heavily planted (not quite at the end of a 'silent cycle'). I also have a couple of small Otos and a Flying Fox (not an SAE, keeping the Rasboras in happy company.

However, I have visited other sites and read that Pearl Gouramis and Harlequins should not be mixed!? Both breeds seem peaceful, so I am not sure what the contra-indication would be!? Does anyone have personal experience of mixing these 2 types of fish, if so, could you advise me on whether I should add 1 male Pearl and 2 female Pearls, or a different combination?

If the Pearls should not be mixed with Harlequins are there other Gouramis I can mix with them. For my money, I know that Pearls can be shy and a little vulnerable, but they are so incredibly beautiful to look at, and if I can find a way to mix them, I'd like to try. Thanks for taking the time to read this! Cheers! ben Surprised)
Characteristics
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, I don't see the problem with pearl gouramis mixed with harlequins, I have and had different types of gouramis with harlequins, right now I have a kissing gourami, 2 Blue threespot gourami, and 1 gold gourami, and I did have a a dwarf gourami and a honey gourami. Every Gourami I had did great with the harlequins, never had a problem, but I never had pearl gourami, I do love them though they are very pretty fish. If you doubt the pearls go with the gold or blue three spot or dwarf gouramis, they are generally peaceful but can be territorial with each other but I never had a gourami attack any other fish , my rasboras and danios swim wonderfully with the gouramis in the aquarium, I don't see a problem adding pearl gouramis but again I never owned a pearl gourami just the ones I mentioned.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gourami and rasbora are a common combination. They prefer similar water types (close to neutral, nothing dramatic) and are both fairly peaceful fish. Did the person on the other forum give a reason not to keep them together? Unfortunately, the internet is often as much a source of misinformation as it is of good information... so always take advice with a grain of salt and follow up with your own research. At the moment, I have harlequins with my betta... but I'm moving my betta into a different tank soon and adding pearls instead. I've never heard of any objections to keeping them together.
benzed
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks muchly, Osprey! You are my favourite expert!! ;o)

Soon as the tank has done its 'silent cycle' thing, I will add 2-3 Pearls. Is a male with 2 females the best way to go, in terms of minimising any aggressive tendencies etc?

Cheers, buddy......ben
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

*blushes*
There are lots of people on this site who know way more than I do. But thanks! A male and two females is the way to go. Often pairs are OK, but sometimes the lone female gets razzed a bit by the male.
benzed
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)13:41    Post subject: Thankee Reply with quote

Thanks, Osprey! Thanks to you also, Characteristics!! Your combined experiences are way more than mine, and I feel much more confident about combining the Pearls and Harlequins. Once they are all settled in together (2-3 weeks time) I'll post a couple of pics. Have a great weekend! ben
Characteristics
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are very welcome Very Happy !!! I hope I helped
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: