Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
pleco tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would a planted tank produce enough algae for the lil guys when they get older?
No, a healthy planted tank would discourage algae. In any case you would not want an algae-choked tank, even to feed a large plecostomus-type catfish. Much better to set up a 20 or 30 gallon tank under a window specifically to grow algae. Then you can control the type and quality of algae and keep your display tank healthy. Large plecos need supplemental foods, as Bob says, and fresh veggies. Zucchini squash and fresh or frozen parboiled peas are very nutritious. Chunks of raw sweet potato are excellent. Lettuces are not nutritious, and only satisfy the need for rasping cellulose. Most of the commercial algae tabs are good; read the labels and make sure you are getting a good percentage of the real thing - that is, dried sea algaes. For the species that you are talking about in this thread, a tablet that is mostly dried meal is okay, but feed sparingly. Don't overwhelm your fish with non-veggie foods or they will develop intestinal problems. We have some threads on these boards about that.
Some large loricariids need more vegetables than others, and some are more omnivorous. You will need to know the species that you have, and do some research on their specific diets.
Welcome, all you new catfish lovers to Aquahobby!
Very Happy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha I nevr noticed how messy my pleco was intill I started cleaning the side of his lil cave area is (his fav spot) hes a messy lil bugger I atleast try to egt a good cleaning in there every 2 days I li8ke a ncie neat tank for my pleco
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
underOATH87
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you could do a pleco only tank, here's a link to another website that I've been posting pictures on, this person has a pleco tank:

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/32547.1.htm?15#

There, that should work, check it out.

Myspace Mobsters Forum: www.mademen.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Tienie
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

About plecos outdoors:

One of my friends has a pong on his farm, and in the summer months his plecos go in there. He says they love it there.
JSI
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you can setup a pleco tank.

http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/

People there love them.
mataderek
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea iv been there its pretty cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: