Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
pleco tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
mataderek
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)14:24    Post subject: pleco tank Reply with quote

hmm is it possabul to have a tank decatded to only plecos?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
andiesch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not, but it would have to big a very big tank
andiesch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not, but it would have to be a very big tank
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would depend on what species of Pleco your are talking about, Bristlenose Pleco's only reach 5 inches or so, Common Plecs can reach 18 inches. Some species can reach even larger sizes.

Really isn't a problem with a Plec only tank, but I would have though most of the tank would look empty for most of the time.

You would also need very good filtration, as Plecs are often messy fish (Ammonia pumps).

Bob
Tienie
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way you think man.

If you had a 2 ft tank you could house a pair of bristlenose pleco's. A 3 ft might be enough room for one male and 2 or 3 females. Larger plecos will need larger tanks.

With some driftwood and a natural looking gravel the tank will look stunning. Just remember that pleco's poo all the time and that you will need strong filtration.
mataderek
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still havent figured out how to tell between male and female plecos, it would be like a 55 gallon tank anyways, hmm would a under gravel filter be like the best thing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
KMV021203
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)22:38    Post subject: Pondering Reply with quote

New to the forum. I have a common pleco...I think...in a 55G tank with a few others for company. I adore my pleco "Hoover." Would love to see how the tank turns out. In my experience I've noticed I need a great deal of algae to appease his appetite. I feed him 2 algae tabs each day, just to make sure he doesn't go hungry. So is it possible to have a tank with ONLY plecos? Especially multiples...as they would require a massive amount of algae. A few top and middle dwellers may help, but I'm no expert. How could we solve this production of algae situation? Would a planted tank produce enough algae for the lil guys when they get older?

Perplexed,
Kevin
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would a planted tank produce enough algae for the lil guys when they get older?

I doubt it, and this is why you would need to feed other foods.

Can I mention, that a Common Plec should reach 18 inches or more in length, so when you say "Lil guys" I would prefer you to say, large messy fish, who in truth need a very large tank.

Bob
KMV021203
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I appreciate the heads up "Bob on Stronsay." I have a buddy who has a 100G tank who's just waiting on "Hoover" to outgrow his smaller tank. Just curious...how well would a pleco do in a outdoor pond which is heated? Also, what other types of food would a pleco be interested in?

Kevin
KMV021203
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this would be a good time to indicate that I feed my pleco lettuce as well as sinking pellets. Just curious if they would take to any other types of foods. Also, for the sake of dimes and pennies. I'm always looking for a more cost effective means of feeding.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: