Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
water -the essential in all aquariums- how do I premix
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
kccichlids
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)14:18    Post subject: water -the essential in all aquariums- how do I premix Reply with quote

hi karen here OK I have a 100 gallon malawi tank that is 2 yrs old. I haven't added new fish in quit some time. don't really have much fish loss. I recently decided to swith the gravel for agramax sand not completely done with that yet. I'm kinda deciding to redecorate after 2 yrs. my pH is low 7.2, KH = 80, gh= 300, NO2= 0, NO3=40 on 5-1 strip test. I do have a good testing kit but want to get a quick idea. OK my question is this this if I want to start using buffer, cichlid chemistry and salt how do I do it.? do I premix in small contain then add to aquarium? I use a python for water changes so don't age water but do add dechlorinater when adding tap water. so what do you add and what do you forego? I guess with low fish loss its been OK up to this point will check pH with better test OK high range pH test with drops reads 8.0. this is kinda confusing I know but I have af cichlid chemistry, proper pH 8.2 and kent cichlid buffer also what about salt or trace elements? I just need some help.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, more detail of your tap water and tank water will help. Most of the time, you don't need the buffers. If you are trying to bring up the pH, have some shells in the tank will do the trick.

If you do decided to use some buffers, invest a container that can hold up to 40+ g of water, also a pump that can pump the water over the hight of the tank. Treat your water in the container, using an aip pump to move the water in the container. After the treatement, pump the water into your tank.

Initial cost: about $70.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: