Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
If you are getting a Blood Parrot "cichlid", read
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Sudo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)13:31    Post subject: If you are getting a Blood Parrot "cichlid", read Reply with quote

I've had blood parrots for about four months now and I find it irritating how little is known about them. Seeing as they are becoming a popular fish, I thought it would be appropriate if blood parrot "newbies" (I'm no pro either) knew what they were getting into. Please do not add any information unless you own blood parrot or can verify your information. Also, please, no more flaming about blood parrots. Just because they are hybrid species doesn't mean you have to pester every blood parrot owner and preach about how they should euthanize their fish or take it back. Blood parrots obviously aren't going anywhere anytime soon, so as long as this interesting fish is on the market, treat them with respect as you would any other animal. As long as everyone knows about the blood parrots background, limitations and needs, blood parrots can become a respectable aquarium fish choice.

A) Origins:

Blood Parrots are hybrids. This means that they probably will never be discovered in the wild because they were created through the breeding of two different species. Take dogs for example. Some dogs are purebred, others are "mutts". Blood parrots fall into this "mutts" category. They were made from what is thought to be the midas cichlid and red devil cichlid. And like mules, it is nearly impossible to make them breed. They are sterile. Also just because they are man made does not mean they were tortured into existence in a lab, they were simply made from the breeding of two entirely different cichlids, so don't be scared off because of their odd background.

B) Appearance:

Blood parrots look somewhat like the bird they represent. They have a pointy head and a little fish beak. They possess elaborate finnage, and are orange or red. DO NOT get blood parrots in fruity rainbow colors. They have a spade shaped tail, and although it would appear that their spine in horrible bent, further inspection reveals that it is fairly straight, but instead the head is mounted low on the body. The thick body is rigid and thus, the blood parrot has to swim with its short, stubby (but still fairly powerful) caudal pendicle. it looks akward compared to more wriggly fish, but blood parrots are strong swimmers nonetheless. There is no known way to determine gender. The dorsal and anal fins are very lengthly. DO NOT GET A BLOOD PARROT without its tail. It is removed with scissors and is very horrible for the fish.

C) Compatibility:

The blood parrot gets along with most community tanks, but they get quite large. A 40 gallon is minumum for a mating pair of blood parrots. If you decide to keep them in a community tank, don't keep plecos, algae eaters, or aggressive fish. Watch out if you have other cichlids. They may bully the blood parrots if they are bigger, and worse, breed with them. If you are a die hard cichlid breeder, don't keep BP in the same tank. I also wouldn't keep blood parrots with fish that don't grow as big as them. When the blood parrots start getting too much bigger, they can start doing significant damage to smaller fish, even kill them. Even though their mouths can't close, they have sharp teeth and will peck hard.

D)Special Care:

Blood Parrots eat almost anything, but be sure they can get at the food. Since they have a strange mouth, they peck at food pieces one at a time. Also, provide the blood parrot with numerous retreats in which they can dig around and play when they feel shy.

E) Summary:

In short, blood parrots are an interesting and intelligent fish to keep. When properly cared for, you will be rewarded with quirky behaviour and a vivid splash of color in your aquarium. Be aware of the blood parrot's limitations. They may be cute, but you have to make sure they don't bully other fish. Also, make sure that THEY aren't getting bullied. As long as you are aware of their shortcomings, blood parrots make wonderful pets and as a blood parrot owner, I can attest to this fact.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)14:08    Post subject: Re: If you are getting a Blood Parrot "cichlid", r Reply with quote

Sudo wrote:
or can verify your information.
LOL... interesting that you call for this without providing same for your info...

Blood Parrots: origin unknown, parental species unknown, and hybridization does not explain their kyphotic shape.

other than that, thanks for the post. Smile
Sudo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote that so that people who have never owned or seen a blood parrots don't flame the species. It was more of a deterrent, but if you want, I could edit my post and cite my references. Some is from personal expierience (like the fact that they are nasty bullies) and others are from various websites (like parentage).

Again, if you really are concerned as to how "legit" my post is, I can take the time and cite all my sources.

Smile
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudo wrote:
and others are from various websites (like parentage
hobby level references are usually just regurgitated from one website through to the next. If you have any references above the hobby level, please share.

I for one have looked into this as much as I could and the closest I got to was that the genetic markers on these fish show the parentage is not just 2 fish...
Sudo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6 wrote:
Sudo wrote:
and others are from various websites (like parentage
hobby level references are usually just regurgitated from one website through to the next. If you have any references above the hobby level, please share.

I for one have looked into this as much as I could and the closest I got to was that the genetic markers on these fish show the parentage is not just 2 fish...

Hobby level...? what does that mean?
BTW I heard that it was Midas and Red devil from this one site, and then I checked my fish book to see where they lived and they both live in brazil... I thought it sounded plausible because not only does the blood parrot look partially like those two fish, but if they are in the same area the chance of getting them to breed would be greater than if the cichlids were from different continents.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudo wrote:
Hobby level...? what does that mean?
fish hobby related web sites, magazine articles, or posts from anonymous posters on these forums are all hobby level only if they do not have references back to actual valid scientifically or sociologically sound data.
In short, a peer reviewed journal article or 1st hand accounts by breeders with witnesses would be non-hobby level info.

Thanks
Sudo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.28(Sun)19:45    Post subject: Re: If you are getting a Blood Parrot "cichlid", r Reply with quote

Sudo wrote:
I've had blood parrots for about four months now and I find it irritating how little is known about them. Seeing as they are becoming a popular fish, I thought it would be appropriate if blood parrot "newbies" (I'm no pro either) knew what they were getting into. Please do not add any information unless you own blood parrot or can verify your information. Also, please, no more flaming about blood parrots. Just because they are hybrid species doesn't mean you have to pester every blood parrot owner and preach about how they should euthanize their fish or take it back. Blood parrots obviously aren't going anywhere anytime soon, so as long as this interesting fish is on the market, treat them with respect as you would any other animal. As long as everyone knows about the blood parrots background, limitations and needs, blood parrots can become a respectable aquarium fish choice.

A) Origins:

Blood Parrots are hybrids. This means that they probably will never be discovered in the wild because they were created through the breeding of two different species. Take dogs for example. Some dogs are purebred, others are "mutts". Blood parrots fall into this "mutts" category. They were made from what is thought to be the midas cichlid and red devil cichlid. And like mules, it is nearly impossible to make them breed. They are sterile. Also just because they are man made does not mean they were tortured into existence in a lab, they were simply made from the breeding of two entirely different cichlids, so don't be scared off because of their odd background.

B) Appearance:

Blood parrots look somewhat like the bird they represent. They have a pointy head and a little fish beak. They possess elaborate finnage, and are orange or red. DO NOT get blood parrots in fruity rainbow colors. They have a spade shaped tail, and although it would appear that their spine in horrible bent, further inspection reveals that it is fairly straight, but instead the head is mounted low on the body. The thick body is rigid and thus, the blood parrot has to swim with its short, stubby (but still fairly powerful) caudal pendicle. it looks akward compared to more wriggly fish, but blood parrots are strong swimmers nonetheless. There is no known way to determine gender. The dorsal and anal fins are very lengthly. DO NOT GET A BLOOD PARROT without its tail. It is removed with scissors and is very horrible for the fish.

C) Compatibility:

The blood parrot gets along with most community tanks, but they get quite large. A 40 gallon is minumum for a mating pair of blood parrots. If you decide to keep them in a community tank, don't keep plecos, algae eaters, or aggressive fish. Watch out if you have other cichlids. They may bully the blood parrots if they are bigger, and worse, breed with them. If you are a die hard cichlid breeder, don't keep BP in the same tank. I also wouldn't keep blood parrots with fish that don't grow as big as them. When the blood parrots start getting too much bigger, they can start doing significant damage to smaller fish, even kill them. Even though their mouths can't close, they have sharp teeth and will peck hard.

D)Special Care:

Blood Parrots eat almost anything, but be sure they can get at the food. Since they have a strange mouth, they peck at food pieces one at a time. Also, provide the blood parrot with numerous retreats in which they can dig around and play when they feel shy.

E) Summary:

In short, blood parrots are an interesting and intelligent fish to keep. When properly cared for, you will be rewarded with quirky behaviour and a vivid splash of color in your aquarium. Be aware of the blood parrot's limitations. They may be cute, but you have to make sure they don't bully other fish. Also, make sure that THEY aren't getting bullied. As long as you are aware of their shortcomings, blood parrots make wonderful pets and as a blood parrot owner, I can attest to this fact.

Here is some (not all) of the places I learned about Blood Parrots from. The majority of the behaviour and special feeding needs I have learned on my own by keeping Blood Parrots. If anyone is interested in learning more, copy and paste these URL's ino your browser and poke around.

Origins links: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/universal-viewid272.html , http://aquariumlore.blogspot.com/2006/07/blood-parrots.html , http://www.indiapets.com/fishes/species/fh012.htm

Dying/docking of tail:http://www.practicalfishkeeping.CO2.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=957 , http://www.practicalfishkeeping.CO2.uk/pfk/pages/campaign_details.php

Other good information about BP: http://parrotcichlid.com/, http://www.geocities.com/parrotcichlid/general.html, aquahobby.com (here of course!)

That about wraps it up. Wink
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: