Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
discus fish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly how to age water. I age water for my saltwater system that way. Smile
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a pump to get water from the container to the fish tank. SIPHON will not work since water does not go up hill.

Breading pair is not cheap. For a good proven pair, we are talking about few hundred dollars.

Don't buy discus at your LFS. Most of them have bad quality and you will end up with one problem after another.

Trying to breed and sell discus is not going to make money unless you are willing to invest tons of time and money to start with. The up keeping of discus is not cheap. Be prepared to pay monthly cost for these fish, in terms of water usage, heating, water condition chemicals, testing kits, food, meds and other items. You will also have to put some money down for initial cost such as getting the set up, the fish and so on. I think I spend at least average $50 each month just for the one discus tank. How much money I spent on the whole set up? I think way over $2000 for the 125g tank, that's including everything such as filters, water change kits, pumps, hose, gravel vac QT tank and so on. Just don't tell my wife I spent that much already. Cool

So, for me, $2000 set up and $50 a month. I'v been doing this for about a 18 months now. I guess that's about $3000 already. If I have to breed them, I will need lots of growing out tanks and more water changes (we are talking about 70% daily WCs at least) and more food... The cost can go up very fast. Think about how many fish you will have to sell to offset the cost.

I think getting into discus for reason of making money is not realistic for people just start with the fish. You need to get the fish for fun first, then build up experience and later starting to breed them. You maybe able to offfset the cost of keeping them a bit in that case. As for making money, most people will tell you that they can import discus from Asia much cheaper than you bread them locally. Also, your quality may not be able to compete with the big discus farms over there.

HTH
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

so in that case there really is no need to go through the stages of buying 6, barebottoming my tank, etc just to tailor to the discus. I only need one and all I need to do is maintain good water quality with a single discus. UNless its proven that they ened a mate or a pair for their happiness I won't bother. The beauty of one is enough.

What's the general cost of a pump. I have a nice decent amount of space between my tank and the wall which will fit the water container PERFECTLY. I'd need just about 4-5 feet of hose to reach into the top of the aquarium.

I've got no problem at all with just tossing aside any ideas of breeding, sometimes turning a hobby into a job simply ruins the fun of enjoying it anyway. I still don't think I would want the BIGGEST meanest discus, but a single one with rams and cories would be nice.

Since I'm not attempting to breed, is it necessary to avoid the LFS discus. 12.99 for a fish that is just there for my aesthetic purposes is better than hunting professional breeders. at least at the stores there is a guarantee on DOA or quick dead fish.

If I do follow the tip of getting the BIGGEST meanest one, is it a guarantee it will be a monster to the other fish and rams?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason for picking the mean one isn't that the fish will be aggressive to other species, but that it has a dominant personality and won't mind being king of a territory... the other fish should be largely ignored. I've had Discus that were very gentle to other fish, and went after plecos if they went up on the glass... so as you can see, personality is a hard thing to predict! LOL

I think you're on a good track.
Very Happy
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to buy a pump around $60. Make sure the pump can reach the hight of the tank. I think it is called head distance. You need about 7 to 8 feet of head I think.

There are two types of pumps. One that you put in water, one stays dry. You want the first one.

Dr. Forst and Smith has some nice pumps. I got mine from them.
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

joitoy

I have a 75g, planted, single Discus tank that I would consider very successful. A lot of the info you are getting here is accurate, but every tank is different. With mine, I have broken all the rules at some point or another, and you can see for yourself in the pictures, the Discus is quite healthy. It's really not as difficult as everyone makes it out to be. I'll agree, they CAN be less forgiving of water conditions, but I've never had any issues. Here is my setup:
Tank 75g
Filter Fluval 104 canister w/ DIY spraybar and an AquaClear 201 w/AquaClear Quick Filter
Filter Media Fluval sponges, ceramic pieces, Fluval Peat
Heater Marineland Visi-Therm Deluxe 200w (maintains 86F; no problems)positioned next to Fluval intake
Substrate Mixed; 2 20lb bags SeaChem Flourite and 1 20lb bag natural gravel
Maintenance Routine 30% water change weekly (although I skip a week every now and again)
Tank Mates 5 Neons, 3 Rummy Nose, 2 Corys, 2 SAE, 2 Otos, 2 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 Gold Ram, and many snails
Lighting roughly 2.5 wpg
Plants Amazon Swords, Dwarf Saggattaria, Crypts and driftwood. I did have Anacharis, but got rid of it
Water Params pH 6.5 - 6.6; dKH 4 - 5; NH3 0ppm; NO2 0ppm; NO3 5ppm

I feed every other day with flakes and frozen bloodworms. The Discus makes pretty short work of the bloodworms, at the surface I might add, while the others round up the flakes without bothering the Discus. I had a second Discus, but the one remaining was the bully, as number6 talked about, and stresed the other one until he died.

I hope I've helped you with your decision here. I say give it a try, just go into it knowing there is a slight possibility you could lose it. If your WalMart and Petco sell them, try your hand with one of those before paying the higher cost that a breeder will surely fetch. Here are some pics of mine.

number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think JB's post is a great example of a common account of the single Discus setups...

mixed community, planted, what I'd call normal tropical fish maintenance, and a nice pet Discus who was territorial...

I wish more new Discus fans would consider this type of setup.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long did you have the discus and how big is it now?

It looks healthy and a bit stunt if I may say. Hey, as long as you enjoy it, I think it is fine. I have one of mine stunt and I still like it anyway.

Discus should grow up to 6"+ within 18 months or so if proper feeds and water are provided. Less than that, it will never reach 6" size, maybe much smaller.
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that discus that are raised alone might die of stress since they like company of other discus.

It's very confusing when so many pieces of advise are conflicting, I am not saying ANYONE's advice is inferior, though, simply that it confuses me so much. My husband agreed to buy me a 55 gal tank for my birthday this april, if I want to do a barebottom discus tank.
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishlover888 wrote:
How long did you have the discus and how big is it now?

I've had it about 2 years, and it's probably 4"
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: