Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
discus fish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimplyDiscus is one of the best place to read about discus. Here is the link:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/index.php
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thick vegetation should be in the corners and along the back of the tank, with open swimming space near the center. Driftwood is a prefered tank decor for Discus, as it will also soften the water and keep the pH acidic. A large, deep tank is needed. Light levels should be subdued, possibly through the addition of floating plants.

What is the likely hood of finding a mated pair at a fish store to bypass the entire purchasing of so many. Having only 2 instead of 6 would decrease the number of water changes and amount, I assume?
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still need to have at least once a week WC in order for them be happy.

Having two of them is not a good idea unless you have a proven breeding pair (big bucks! Over few hundred for sure). Otherwise, one will pick on the other till it is sick and dead. Having 6 of them will spread the picking. They are almost school fish so 6 of them is better.

Discus need to be fed heavily when they are young. That's why the water changes.
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely would like to start a home business. being a student and a housewife it is hard for me to find a comfortable job close to home, close to my kids. I didn't know it was so profitable but knowing that somehow I can combine another small source of income with keeping fish I really find beautiful, I believe I will give it a go.

I've spoken with my husband he says for me to give it a go, so once we are able to buy the two heaters that we need, plus more plants I will buy the discus. Right now I don't have any to spare for the heaters and since they are an important part of raising them, the wait is necessary.

I forgot to ask in my last post. Instead of peat or black water or whatever, is the driftwood instead? I've seen a lot of tanks with a piece of it in them, and java moss growing over it and think it has a really nice look.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driftwood and peat in combination. Driftwood alone won't bring down the pH enough.
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as the water doesn't turn a funky color.

then the last question is hould ask is where should I buy them. I obviously want a well bred healthy pair that won't be 59.99 a fish since buying 6 would be incredibly, ridiculously expensive then.

Walmart and petco sell them. Are they in general always bad suppliers or is it just SOME are bad suppliers.

Or is there a favored supplier used by people frequenting this site
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a private breeder in your area with a good reputation, if you can. You'll get healthier fish that way than buying from a chain. There should be some sort of local aquarium society in the area that can hook you up.
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishlover888 wrote:
SimplyDiscus is one of the best place to read about discus. Here is the link:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/index.php

I missed seeing this post when I was replying before, thank you!!

Last stupid question of teh evening. Where can I find a reputable dealer. HOW can I find one is a better question.
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simplydiscus.com has many sponsors, all (most) of them are reputable breeders. You could try classifieds for breeding pairs, which are sometimes quite cheap. You can also try www.discusforums.com, which is an aussie site.

Keep in mind, juvenile discus need more water changes, and more feedings per day. They need to be fed about 5 times per day, as opposed to 2 for adults, and their water needs to be changed regularly, so they grow faster. If they are stunted, their eye is big, and their shape can be affected greatly.

You can keep water parameters constant by using buffers. I am purchasing a 180g tank, and will be using buffers, since my local water SUCKS.
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

buffers? Could you explain that to me.

They need frequent water changes of aged water? WOW that sounds really annoying to have to keep a big tub of water around. I have an idea though.

Anyone familiar with those big 40-55 gallon blue plastic containers sold at walmart. Eevn have lids. I can't keep it heated for fear of the heater meltingthe plastic or doing lord knows what, but can I fill it to the brim, place dechlorinator for 55 gal or whatever it is in size, then SIPHON out 30 gallons from my tank, then siphon in replacement water from the container.

Good idea? No? Trying to figure out if this is within my ability without having a second huge tank set up just to hold my water since all of the reading I've found say 'aged' water.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: