Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Guppies!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Convict29
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)21:20    Post subject: Guppies!!! Reply with quote

OK, I'm going to college soon so I have to cut down on fish. I currently have a 30g, a 10g, and three smaller tanks 1.5g or under. I am selling the fish in the two larger tanks, but I still want SOMETHING. So, I have deciding to start something I have wanted to do for a while. I want to have lots and lots of fancy guppies or endlers guppies/livebearers. Question is how many fancy guppies or endlers could I fit in a 30g with a 10g growout tank on hand? And which one of the two types of fish do you guys suggest I get...or should I mix them? Any advice would be appreaciated. Thanks. Very Happy
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get true endlers I wouldn't mix them with guppies. They will crossbreed, causing you to have hybrids.

With endlers if you want you can start out with like 3 pair or even 6 pair, in short order your tank will be full. The females will bear their young every 28 to 30 days. In planted tanks, its very seldom the adults will eat their young.
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated, can I ask whats wrong with hybrids? Are they born unhealthy, defects? Or just ugly and unsightly to look at.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

joitoy wrote:
Unrelated, can I ask whats wrong with hybrids? Are they born unhealthy, defects? Or just ugly and unsightly to look at.

Nothing is wrong with hybrids, Its just that we want to keep the breed true. I have seen a few people try to sell hybrids as true endlers, with the higher cost of the true strains. Some people do breed hybrids, but do state them as being hybrids.

Endlers are considered an endangered species with their natural habitat slowly going away. I would like to see these little fish kept true and preserved.

True endlers are very colorful and a beautiful fish in its own right. Just as lots of cichlids are hybrids, But the true cichlids to me are more beautiful than the hybrids and need to be kept pure.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Very Happy
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost immediately began searching 'hybrid' on the board after your first post LOL. I was too curious to wait for a response. I understand the board's position on hybrids but if someone doesn't intend to sell their hybrids or their fish fry anyway, what difference does it make if they are going to allow them to interbreed? A number of fish die anyway in LFS due to poor or cramped conditions or sit there for a long time in the shelves. If I bought endler's for my tank, and had no intention to sell them back to a LFS, store, anywhere, how would it impact anything if I add guppies as well, or simply don't mind the combination that occurs if they breedin my tank?

Just a curious moral question here for the sake of it, sorry for going slightly off topic. I rather like the appearance of endlers and cobra guppy and one of the three tank designs I had in mind was a school of each. If they interbred, I would most certainly keep as many young as my tank would realisticaly and comfortably hold. If a friend was at my house, saw either, and said "those are pretty" I would certainly give them a few.
JSI
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hybrid debate seems to come up on almost any "pet" forum.

Realistically hybridization will happen in the pet trade regardless of people
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSI wrote:
The hybrid debate seems to come up on almost any "pet" forum.

Realistically hybridization will happen in the pet trade regardless of people
Convict29
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, thanks for the replys guys. I read up on it after I posted and found out they would inbreed. I agree with you susankatomerit fully. Theres nothing wrong with hybrids, but keeps like you and I would like to see a line of fish stay true and natural. Platys are hybrids, but very pretty and perkey fish as well. But still, I would, as would others, prefer to keep a true breed of fish. And now I think I may put endlers rather than guppies in my tank.
As far as personallity is concerned is there much of a difference? Also, like guppies, as there hundreds of different "tpyes" (delta guppies, snake skin guppies, albino guppies, etc...) of endlers as there are guppies?
Also, my local pet store sells what appears to be true endlers as the same price as guppies...but you get a set of 3 instead of a pair.
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's multiple types of endlers I'd consider getting them instead too. There's no fear of them interbreeding with a platy is there? Somehow, the result sounds like it would be monstrous
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several color strains of endlers. Once place to see them is at
http://www.endlersr.us/
You can get just one color strain that you the the best or mix the several. I keep black bars, top yellow swords and peacocks Most of mine are F2's from the last trip of Armondo Po's. They are a very active and vibrant fish. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the strains that you choose.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: