Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
dwarf gourami shyness
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
stickylungs
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)21:04    Post subject: dwarf gourami shyness Reply with quote

hello I bought some dwarf gouramis today I acclimatised them to my tank and isntanly my tiger barbs attacked them so I whipped the tiger barbs out and put them somewhere else where the can nip each other!

now one of the gouramis feelers are now gone is this a problem?
and
they won't come out of hiding I am a little worried they will die is shyness a normal part of there behaviour and will they overcome it?

I basicly need reassurance
I love them and don't want to loose them or I will ring the neck of the store clerk who say tiger barbs would be fine with them Twisted Evil
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will probably be fine. As long as your water quality is good and major stressors have been removed, most fish recover quite well from minor injuries. You can speed up healing using a medicine called melafix (there's a lot of in depth information about melafix here on the board, if you run a quick board search you can learn more about it), you should be able to find it at your LFS. It will also help prevent infection. Just keep the water nice and clean, try not to spook them with turning on the lights suddenly etc, feed high quality foods and supplement with frozen/live, and keep an eye on the other fish! Fish that might not normally pick on other fish might take advantage of one when it is injured.
Dwarf Gouramis are relatively shy a fact that, coupled with their recent rather traumatizing experience would probably explain their hiding. If you give them lots of places to hide (they love hiding in plants, caves, etc) and maybe dim the lights (if you don't have live plants) you might be able to coerce them to come out more, but the truth is they will acclimatise in time and you will eventually see them more. Just give them a little while, and they will reward you with incredible colour and very sweet personalities.

As a side note, you mentioned in your pm that people weren't replying to your posts. A few suggestions...
-Make sure you are posting in the appropriate section. Everyone makes this mistake sometime. When in doubt, refer to the sticky at the top of each page for guidelines. For example, I would have put this post in the diseases and disasters forum.
-Be as precise as possible. Since we've talked at length I know your system and situation fairly well, but most people do not and I should certainly not be your sole source of information. To purport that I have all the answers would be a downright falsehood, plus you can always benefit from a second opinon! Anyway, the point is you should describe your set-up, water parameters, other tank inhabitants, and any other information you can give, pictures are ALWAYS helpful. Also, in cases where there might be some ambiguity, you should always use, or at least note, the scientific name of the fish in question, in this case Colisa lalia. This seems to be a problem especially with gouramis (and cichlids and a lot of saltwater fish): I've heard the term powder blue gourami used to describe both the blue version of colisa lalia and the three spot gourami (I forget the scientific name, trichogaster something). This is compounded by the fact that the two fish are very different: about ten centimetres different! Laughing

I hope this has helped, as always. Let me know how this turns out!

Best of luck,
Liszie

p.s. although this has never happened to me, people have told me that c. lalia has an odd tendency to lie on the gravel on its side when sleeping. Although this seems counterintuitive to me, as it has to return to the surface to breathe, I have seen my betta, a close relative of the gourami, doing the same thing when I first get up and turn his light on in the morning. Just something to be aware of...
-Lis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help I will take picture right away with my only camera my webcam so just hang on!
I am quite proud of this tank
I had for over a year a huge problem with nitrite staying at around 1 to 3 ppm flyingfish helped me and this week the nitrite have stayed down at 0ppm so I give her a big thanks for her help Smile ill be back with the pictures in a moment Smile
stickylungs
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the pictures arnt much but I don't own a digital camera only a web camera but I caught a few of the residents of my tank whist the where out and about at 4 am they sleep all day! and are awake all night like me Razz

the over all setup

a blurred image of the dwarf gourami in question

an ancistrus that has grown a cm in two weeks!

and again sorry for the bad picture quality its all I have
it was either buy the aquarium or have a camera and I chose the aquarium Razz

and the light isn't that bright its the camera having trouble adjusting between contrasts
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I understand. Nice tank, are those fake plants? I think I might have mentioned this earlier but you might consider adding some super hardy live plants. I honestly don't know if the fish can tell the difference, but I guess it just looks more "natural" to me. Plus they "eat" nitrogen in the form of ammonia and nitrites/nitrates (for more info, search "Silent Cycle") It's really up to you though. If you do want to give them a try, java fern is very, very, easy to take care of, and easy to find. I've found it can be a little expensive, probably because most of the time it comes attached to something, like driftwood or a large rock. Don't buy nearly as much as you think you need, though, because it reproduces fast. Guppy fast.
Glad to hear the nitrite has stayed down. I was worried it might go back up after some time passed, but it seems like whatever we did worked! Probably a combination of the cyanobacteria and the filter.
Totally out of curiousity, what do you think of the ancistrus? I think I might be getting one for my 55g L. stappersi tank that is en works, as I've been told it's the only pleco that doesn't seem to be bothered by tangynikans. To be honest, I think they're kind of ugly... Embarassed but maybe it's just the picture. Confused

Keep in touch,

Liszie
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried real plants before and they just die no matter what I do I read all the books and forums on aqua gardening now this is odd because I can grow terrestrial plants very well my phaleanopsis orchid is just about to flower for its fourth time this year (fourth spike) I am in spring mode at the moment growing hyacinths like mad all indoors under my 400watt growlamp but plants in the water now I just can't do itthey go brown a shrivel up I had java ferns I even fed them but no they died Sad

ancistrus:
they are superb little critters really ugly but fun!

I had a tiger barb that was smaller than the others and nature being nature was eventually killed by the others now I didn't realise this but isnead of it rotting and sending my ammonia and nitrites up the ancistrus came along and ate it to the bone! nothing was left! just the spine and ribs which I removed quickly they hoover up any old crap literally and if you get any algae it will be gone immediately with these guys not cyanobacteria tho

and

when they reach adult hood they grow a moustache bigger if they are male

my ones are red and green ancistrus from a local breeder Smile

but they don't look red or green Rolling Eyes
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I expected to have more luck with aquatic gardening than I have had, just because I'm a florist and I figured I'd have some sort of advantage. WRONG! Aquatic plants are just a whole different ball park. I'm still pretty proud of my 20g planted, though, it's turned out quite well. The nice thing about underwater plants is you can never forget to water them! Laughing
If you can, I'd love to see pictures of your orchid! (ah... off topic. oh well, you can pm em to me) I really like the Sharry Babies (oncidium), especially the way they smell. Flowers that smell like chocolate! What more could one want? (I would say, oh, well if we could associate fish with it somehow, but flowers that smell like fish? hmmm) Whenever someone comes into the shop looking for orchids I always direct them to the oncidiums. Ahhh, bliss. Cool

Liszie
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: