Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cory Catastrophy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has the tank been set up? Peppered cories can be sensitive and so should be introduced to mature, stable tanks.

How did you introduce these fish? Acclimatization should be done over a full hour.

What are you feeding? One website I checked indicated a reputation for health problems due to incorrect feeding.

Your water temperature may be within the acceptable range, but I would invest in a heater nonetheless to ensure the temperature stays stable. I would bump the temperature up to at least 75F, too, just to ensure none of the fish feel chilled.

If there were some kind of disease or parasite in the tank, I belive it would have shown up or otherwise affected the other fish (tetras) by now, since you mentioned a previous cory died a month ago. Instead, I mostly suspect the water quality is to blame. Since you don't have test kits, you really have no idea what the quality is like, even if the water itself looks clean. For now, change at least 15-20% of the water every day and get yourself the test kits ASAP.
stib718
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Shai, I suspect your water conditions to be the cause. You mentioned pop-eye, this condition is seen often with poor water quality. You definitely need some test kits, otherwise you will be guessing whats going on. I consider myself quite experienced at fish keeping and I still feel I need to test my water parameters frequently, although I have 2 filters, and do frequent water changes. If you know your water parameters are OK, it makes it that much easier to figure out what else is wrong...ie diseases.
So yea, get the test kits, and post results up here and then maybe we can try to figure out whats going on in your tank.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: