Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Feeding Cories
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bigbones
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)20:36    Post subject: Feeding Cories Reply with quote

I've been struggling for now a little more than 2 months feeding my cories. I posted a week ago about a cory of mine dying, and that the water was fine, the fish looked fine a day before, the fish itself had no sign of sickness or parasites, but it was just dead. I really do think now it's because of no eating, because now today I find another dead cory dying the same way as the other last week. And I think the max a fish can go without food is like a month if I'm not mistaken.

Anyhow I really need to know how to get these fish to eat. I feed sinking pellet food from new life spectrum, but it will only reach the ground if I overfeed the other fish. I've dropped shrimp pellets and wafers on the opposite side of the tank while I fed my fish in another. But as soon as the fish are done eating they steal the pellet or wafer away from the cories.

How do you guys manage to get these guys to get their food? I really like cories, and I'd hate to see them go, I only have 4 now.
T. Bartelt
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhmmm. If you have a sand substrate you could try breaking up some shrimp pellets and hiding them just under the surface of the sand. My corys LOVE searching for food , its like a little treasure hunt.
vanyali
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had cories in a very large catfish tank I kept several years ago, and if I remember right, I never had any trouble getting them (or any of my fish) to eat live worms. I would get those really skinny black worms that I think were just called "black worms" and put them in a little plastic feeder cup stuck to the side of the tank and all the fish would just go nuts over them. The cories would swim up to it rather than waiting for the food to fall to them, though plenty of worms did fall and the cories could dig for them later too I suppose.

I also fed dried and frozen foods of various kinds, but I don't remember exactly. Nothing went over so well as those black worms though.

I must warn you, though, I think I got some nasty parasites from some of those things once that really did a number on my larger catfish periodically, and I just never was able to shake it, even with a UV filter. So frozen foods might be nearly as appetizing but not quite as disease-ridden.
Tienie
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem when I had paradise fish my my cories.

I decided to get rid of the paradise fish, although that might not work here.

Bottom feeders seem to take longer to eat pelet food than tey do to eat bits (like tetra Prima Granules). Place the granules (about 2 or 3 per cory) in a teaspoon and fill the teaspoon with water. now feed your other fish in one corner of the tank and then empty the teaspoon in the other corner. Feed your other fish half of what you normally feed and then when they come looking for the bits then feed them the rest.

Hopefully this helps.
Skittles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try also feed the corries at night. The other fish may not notice the food by the time it sinks to the bottom. Burying their food if you have a sand substrate is also a great idea!!
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile since I've kept Corries of any kind but I used to feed them frozen bloodworms and green flakes with a turkey baster. I've found they loved it and would always eat everything I gave them. This way that got there greens as well as protein. I would at times mix in tropical flakes, say once a week for them too.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: