Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
breeding corys
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
dawndeal
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)15:02    Post subject: breeding corys Reply with quote

I have 2 corys that have spawned 2 times. we have 1 surviving fish and I think that they are going to spawn again here pretty soon. should I put the male and female in a fish net breeder and just let her lay the eggs in there? I have tried taking the eggs out but they did not hatch when I did and this last time I divided the tank and they never hatched. they covered over in white stuff. what shoud I be looking for? I only have 1 tank and it is a 10 gallon one.....thanks in advance for the help!
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is use a breeder TANK, with a very high filtration rate (An undergravel or internal sponge filter is ideal, or use a week solution of methalyne blue to avoid bacterial problems.

What other fish are in the tank.

Bob
dawndeal
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have:
2 albino corys (breeding pair)
1 baby albino
snail
2 red tail black sharks
1 common pleco (about 6 inches long)
1 silver dollar(tetra?) he is about 4 years old

that is what we have. I don't know what kind of snail we have. I have one of the hanging breeding baskets and a tank divider (it does not work really well because of the lid on the tank)
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some awfully big fish for such a small tank! A 6 inch long pleco??? I hope that you are looking for a much bigger home for him! Crying or Very sad
brett_fishman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

red-tailed black sharks are very terratorial, two in a 10g is too many..a 10 isnt big enough for one even..

you can't even have two in a 55 gallon because of terratorialism, so theres no way you can have two in a 10..

that pleco is a huge crap factory, they get big too..

-brett.
1 yoyo loach [going to 75]
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to repost what others have said, but I will this time since I love fish. Your tank is very overstocked. I would not even have the pleco in it alone. The tank is not large enough for the single pleco, or a single red tailed shark. There is no way this tank is going to work out in the future, and I am suprised the fish are alive now. You seem to have a huge bio-load, and I fear your fish are living in amonia. You should find suitable homes for your large fish(find an lfs or fish-KEEPER who has enogh space for them, or purchase a very large tank, or several large tanks), then you can wory about breeding fish.
dawndeal
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had those fish in there for about 2 years and have had no problems. they even survived a move in august...I am just wondering what to do about the corys..I take a sample regularly to my fish guy and he says things are fine, actually great water quality....I want to get a larger tank it will have to wait for a while though...only problem that I have are those stinkin corys keep on laying eggs. I forgot to add that we have an eel also...we only see him about once every 6 months, like the rocks.
brett_fishman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the point of having an eel then?!

hes just adding to the already huge bio-load..I'd take him out, along with many other fish..

-brett.
1 yoyo loach [going to 75]
dawndeal
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

my son likes the eel and he picked him out...like I said I test the water regularly and have had no problems with the tank...all of the fish in the tank have been in for over 2 years, some for 4 years. I just needed to know some advise on the corys until I can get a larger tank. just forget it...I will go to my local fish guy and ask him what to do.....I thought that I might get some HELPFUL advise here and not beat down like a 5 year old for writing on the wall
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: