Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ich questions
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)17:36    Post subject: Ich questions Reply with quote

A couple questions about ich:

When ich first shows up, is it usually multiple dots on multiple fish, or does it show up as just a single dot and spread from there?

How long does each individual generation of dots last? If I remember correctly, it's about 2 days, but I could be wrong.

I have a fish with a single white dot on one of his fins, and I'm wondering if I should crank the heat now, or wait a couple days and see what happens.

Thanks.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on when you first spot it. With all infections, they tend to start off with one, then more, but if you don't spot the first one or few, it can appear as if the whole tank has got Ich in one go. It would also depend on how it got into the tank, what sort of fish, what temperature etc.

The lifecycle of Ich is very temperature dependant, in a coldwater pond in winter it can take months, at 80f in a tropical tank it should complete a complete lifecycle in one week, that is from first burrowing into the fish, to falling off the fish, laying on substrate, and dividing into a few hundred new bugs and finally swimming up looking for more food (Your fish).

If it is a new fish (Or you have recently added fish), the spot looks like a grain of salt, then it is probably Ich.

Personaly I would treat the whole tank with Interpet Ich treatment (Or any other well known Ich treatment).

I would also raise the temp to 80f (This makes sure the lifecycle happens inside a normal treatment time of most medications). I would also add an airstone (Helps keep the Oxygen level a bit higher), and remember to remove any carbon from your filter (It stops medications working).

Hope that helps.

Bob
lindak
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wait till tomorrow and see if there's any more spots. I have had 1 spot on a fish on one day and it was gone the next, was it ick...?

Anyway, the way I treat it is to turn the tank up to 85 - 86F, throw an airstone in it and leave the temp there for 2 weeks. This has worked numerous times for me. I have not lost a fish to ick in a couple of years, or a plant or invertebrates to the heat. I keep my tanks at 80F anyway.

I try to use medications as a last resort, they would be useful though if there's a large outbreak that comes upon you rapidly.
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. The fish now has more spots on his two side fins as well as a bit of fin loss. No other fish show any signs of problems. I haven't added any fish since October.

I guess I'm going to just watch for a couple days and see if I can make a better diagnosis. If it's ich I'll have to crank the heat, if it is some sort of infection that won't go away, I'll have to set up a hospital tank. No meds in the display tank, I have too much time, energy and money invested in the plants.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: