Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Stronger med suggestions?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)23:28    Post subject: Stronger med suggestions? Reply with quote

As you may recall, a while ago I asked about the best way to put a fish down because two of my female bettas had gotten into a serious fight and had become infected with serious bacterial and fungal problems. One of them simply deteriorated and when I finally got the guts to put her down, she died on her own. Now my second one, who seemed to be getting better, has appeared to stop responding to the Jungle Fungus Clear (Which is the only thing I can buy at my LFS). She doesn't have the bacterial infections that the other female had, and she is still eating and swimming, but her fins and body just keep getting attacked. I've remedicated many times, but I think the fungus has started to become immune to the Jungle medication.

I have one tablet of this medication left, which will get her to the weekend so I can shop for meds and switch to something else. Something either more powerful or that has completely different ingredients. Could you guys suggest some that I could get at a Petco or Petsmart? I'd just like some suggestions as to what has worked for others who've been in this situation before, because I know there's a trillion of them out there and haven't been able to try all the different names myself (Which is a good thing, I must say. =p).

Thanks in advance!! Nyx and I appreciate it! n___n!
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the tank size, full stock load of your fish (Species and numbers), and your water change routine? How much do you change and how often?

It would help if you could also post the results from test kits, like Nitrate levels etc.

Bob
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot to add that. Had it all written down and everything.

10 gallon:
--stock:
2 mollies
1 swordtail
1 female betta
--parameters:
pH - 7.4
ammonia - 0ppm
nitrite - 0ppm
nitrate - 10ppm

The betta is the only one affected by the fungus, and I can easily move all the other inhabitants to my 30 gallon should the betta need to be treated by herself. I was treating the female in a 1 gallon before, but it's so much easier to treat a 10 gallon (especially with those annoying fizzy tabs) that I moved her in there.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread a bit down the page praising Melafix.

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=40466

I can't say I have tried it (Can't remember the last time I had to treat fungus etc).

Have a read of this page:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/melafix.php

If that's no good, you could look for "Interpet Anti Fungus & Bacteria Fish Treatment".

If you really want to get serious, then look for Methalyne Blue or Malachite Green, but these two are only to be used in non cycled hospital tanks etc. They are harsh treatments.

Found this article it may be useful.

http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm

Bob
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: