Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Too Many Gimmicks/Gadgets?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Muskwit
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)19:31    Post subject: Too Many Gimmicks/Gadgets? Reply with quote

1. To UV or not to UV, this is the question!?

The stores love a new gadget, and utilize many marketing tools to get us 'hooked' into making us believe our prize & joy mostly our (fishe's) NEED it! Do they?

1. UV - Why do we want to sterize our tanks? Whether it it is a sumberged unit/inline or above? If it is inline, then we are going to kill all that lovely micro-organisms that do the essential cycling thing! It does not make any sense!

If it is submerged or above, and not forgeting fish DO NOT have eye lids, and we have to wear protective goggles when using a solarium are you going to put goggle on you fish inorder for them not to go blind?? I would think the latter would be pretty difficult & time consuming!

Unless that is the only environment the fish stock have been brought up in, which would make for a weaker stock & more prone to airbourne infections unless you go the hole hog and make you tank & everything else 'hermetically sealed'. Food for thought!!

After consorting various sources, I feel that this is apure gimmick/gadget in order for us to part with our hard earned cash!

I bet I geta thrashing for posting this one!
supamii
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

after a long day of work, I'm not going to take a stab at any philosophical UV theories...

but I think UVs are for those who have had a history of green-water. I personally have never run into this problem and I hope I will not in the future.
Jon_The_Newb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

You couldn't mount a UV sterilizer out in the open, like above the tank, you'd damage your own eyes if not the fishes. They're are two types, inline, or submerged, but even the submerged ones use a pump to pull water into the housing and back out, so same thing really.

No, they're not a gimmick, they are quite good (atleast the two I have used), and no, they don't kill your good bacteria. That good bacteria is all over the substrate, the glass, the decorations, the filter... just not in the UV sterilizer I imagine. As supamii said, if for nothing else, they do an amazing job at killing green water. Not just killing it, but keeping it away as well. You also don't have to run it all the time, you can turn it on and off as needed.

Jon
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I can't think of any use except for battling green water (which yes, it is good at).

It strikes me as useless to have it running all the time...personally I don't see fixing a non-existent problem worthwhile. With ich infections etc, I can see it being used although I wouldn't rely on it to clear the infestation for me.

It's just one of those things that aren't essential, although can be useful in specialized circumstances.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)4:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on a small island, it is a four hour round trip to the next largest island that has a small garden center type LFS (I have more tanks than they do). From my point of view, given where I live, I thought it would be a handy tool.

I made sure I could use it on all of our tanks. A great tool for Green Water. It cleared up a really badly affected tank in a couple of days, then got switched off.

I also ran it on one tank for a week, when I had to put some fish into a tank without quarentine, just as a precuation (I had it so I thought I may as well use it).

It's good to know it's there, but unless you get GW, I wouldn't bother (I didn't bother for the previous 40 odd years of fishkeeping).

Normal basic tank management like the use of quarentine, water changes, proper cleaning, understocking etc are more useful at keeping fish healthy fish.

UV's run in a housing, so that only the water passing close to the lamp is exposed to the UV lamp.

Bob
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

UV is great for fish that are not as hardy as other fish. I used to have problems with my discus tank, one thing after another. It almost like I was adding one med after another every month or so. Finally, I decided to add an UV to it. Never had any major problem after that.

There are two functions for UV unit in the tank, one is to control algae. In this case, you need a much smaller unit. Another function is to kill other free floating nasty things that could harm your fish. In this case, you need a bigger unit. The key is the rate of water flow through the unit, or the contact time with the UV. Bigger tank, bigger unit, more money.

We use UV all the time in our daily life. Most raw food we get from stores pass through UV to kill the nasty things so we will not get sick by touching them, also they will have a longer shell life. Adding UV to a fish tank is just another way to protect your fish IMHO. If you have fish you can replace easily, you may not care to put in the extra money for UV. If you have fish that will cost you arms and legs to replace them, such as discus, you want the added protection. I think UV for discus tank is almost a must. A 125 g tank full of discus could cost me over $800 easily if I had to replace them. Adding a $70 UV unit is a no brainer.
railinsp
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a uv for the pst 6 months,I don't have live plants just plastic and the uv cleared up my cloudy water to wear it's crstal clear now.. I think I have a heathier tank by using the uv. It kills only bacterier that goes though the uv.. If I had another tank would I use a uv answer would be yes
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: