Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my kribs had babies!!!!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rfosgategt
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)19:28    Post subject: my kribs had babies!!!! Reply with quote

well tonight I saw my first set of babies from my kribs, looks to be around 20 - 25. the mom and the dad are switching shifts and have them huddled up around their house.

questions:

what do I do now?

do I let nature run its course? I don't want to keep them since I don't have a big enough tank for anymore kribs. I have a lfs that I really enjoy dealing with and got the breeding pair from him, they were in his personal tank at the store and had not had any babies, so I kinda want to give him all of the ones that make it. I was told that based off the pH that it makes the decision whether they are male or female, but I don't remember which way.

help me out wonderful fish people...

I tried to get some pics but they won't show up sine they won't bring them to the front of the tank
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would do (and what I am doing) is try to keep as many alive as possible.

You can put them in another tank for the time being (if you have one) or you can keep them in the same tank but you will have to cover any filter intakes that can suck them up (some filter floss would do) and do extra water changes as there will be a bigger bio load now.

The babies are easy to raise. They should be alright with crushed up flakes and some brine shrimp.

Once they are a resonable size you can sell them back to the shop and make some money out of it Razz
fancy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you much more luck than I had. My kribs had babies 4 different times. It always seemed like the parents mothered them really well until about the 3rd week. Then they would start to disappear. After much trial & error, (adding more plants for hidaways, feeding them more, putting in some plastic breeding grass for them to hide), I finally figured out after seeing the mother eat them that this was what was happening to them. She apparently laid more eggs & became very protective of the territory. The last batch that she had, I finally ended up netting her out (it took me a long time to catch her-she is very smart) & putting her in another tank. I ended up with 4 survivors. They lived with the daddy till they were about 2 inches long & then I removed them to sell. I decided to keep the parents seperate for now. Maybe I will reunite them in the future, I don't really want any more baby kribs right now.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: