Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Betta fish with swollen gills, please help
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Carolina
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)14:51    Post subject: Betta fish with swollen gills, please help Reply with quote

Hi,

My betta is been sick for almost three weeks.

At the beginning all the symptoms indicated swim bladder disorder, he couldnt swim horizontally and stayed in the bottom of his tank, I started using betta fix remedy and after one week he seemed better but only for a couple of days.

Now he's gills are kinda inflamed and opened and just stands vertically over he's head. He hasn't eating for three weeks. I'm really worried.

I used to change his water every 5 days. he lives in a gallon tank, used to feed him with blood worms, twice a day until I found that I was overfeeding him.

I have reduced the level of water, I read it's better when they're sick, is that true?

I don't know what else to do. Please somebody HELP me, it breaks my heart to see him like this. Should I end his life??.

Was I supposed to use a tank with oxigen and water filter?

I appreciate your advise.

Thanks in advance,

Carolina.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the tank filtered? If not you really want to be doing daily water changes.

In an ideal world the fish would be in a much larger tank, a 10 gallon would be far better.

What you have to think about is volume V output of fish.

A fish will put out chemicals, in a tiny tank these chemicals will build up far faster than in a larger tank. This makes very small tanks far harder to keep stable than larger ones.

Inflamed gills are often a sign of Ammonia or Nitrite poisoning, Ammonia is the chemical that fish put out and Nitrite is one of the chemicals it changes to after the Ammonia is eaten by bacteria.

Do you use a de-chlorinator for your water changes?

Bob
Carolina
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.24(Wed)13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Bob.

The tank is not filtered, I thought about getting one but the salesman from the pet store told me it wasnt necessary.

Before he got sick I used to add one drop of de-chlorinator and a blue liquid (can't remeber its name) every time I changed the water.

I went to the pet store yesterday and the seller told me that he might be neurologically affected due to the overdoze of Betta Fix Remedy (He bends his body like a "U" upside down).

I used Betta Fix for almost 2 weeks and I was supposed to do it for only 7 days.

Do you think it's possible that he'll never recover if, in fact, he's neurologically afected?

Carolina.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: