Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Swim Bladder Problem
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)9:39    Post subject: Swim Bladder Problem Reply with quote

hi guys sorry if this has been posted over and over again. but I really want to understand more about tropical fish swim bladder problem.

what are the best way to treat or prevent SBP?

does feeding diet and type of food lead to SBP?

also is it true that green peas are helpful in treating SBP?
if so should the peas be defrost or you can just throw it in for the fish?

any effective medication that treats or prevent SBP? etc. Pimafix??

sorry for asking a lot of questions. but I think SBP seems to be the most challenging disease to treat. and I just hope to learn more about SBP.

people please feel free to post your experiences with SBP happenings.
lindak
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here for some quick answers;
http://www.2cah.com/pandora/Disease.html#Swimbladder

SWDisease is a condition where the fishes swim bladder is injured in some way. I think it's more of a condition to start out and can advance to something else.
In my personal experience I have not had a fish with SWD that has survived. Because they're always struggling to correct their orientation in the water, and it's not possible, so they're constantly working.
I've had one fish that was always vertical and another that couldn't float, she could swim, but not float. They have a hard time eating and since they're not moving through the water normally it takes a toll on their skin. They sort of fade away slowly.

You can feed your fish a variety of food and don't overfeed them.
You can feed them Daphnia 2 - 3 times a week which is good for their elimination.
Overfeeding and constipation could lead to it, I suppose, but that hasn't been my experience with it.
I don't know if green peas are good for it or not but they do help prevent constipation.
By the time you take the skins off of the peas they will be defrosted so I usually break them up into smaller pieces.

I don't know if any medications are good for it, SBD is an internal thing and it would be hard to say what caused it.

My female betta got sucked through the hose while I was cleaning the tank and that violent action to her small body injured her swim bladder. Eventually she passed away.

Hope some of this helps. Linda
lindak
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the bad abbreviation, it's supposed to br SBD not SWD!! Duh
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very curious about this.. I have an OHF where the water output flows out and drop into the tank, its not really that high.. probably 6 to 8 cm in from the OHF output to the tank water.
does the bubbles produced due to the impact of the water gushing down affect the fishes directly?

will fishes eating the floating food that get spread around the bubbles area of effect affect also?
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

any help?
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

any help?
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

OHF?? Do you mean a hang-on-the-back filter (usually referred to as HOB filter?) Cavitation and bubbles have to be extremely violent to cause problems in most freshwater fish. My aquaclear filter drops three inches before hitting water level (I'm breeding apple snails in the tank; they need air room to lay eggs), and my fish still play in the outflow.
The best way to prevent swim bladder problems is to keep the water super-clean. They are usually caused by infection or injury. The injuries aren't really preventable (unless you've put violent fish in the tank, or have dangerous decorations), but infections are almost always caused by poor water quality. If a lot of your fish have swim bladder problems, you need to increase water changes and lower your stocking.
ah_hup
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering if water current affect the swimming ability of the fishes Confused
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not unless they are already weak swimmers. My tank has a very strong flow, and none of my fishes (including my betta!) have any problems with it.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: