Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Picky betta
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
JWalk79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)18:00    Post subject: Picky betta Reply with quote

Alright my new betta doesn't want to eat. I have special betta pellets that I feed my bettas, and I pop some in for him, he picks one off the surface, chews it around for a bit then ends up spitting it out. I have head that bettas from pet stores can sometimes be unaccustomed to eating the pellets, but he just doesn't seem to want them. Its been a few days, too- I figured once he got hungry enough he'd eat them, but that didn't seem to have worked. I have never had a picky eater before (my other betta Alphie ate EVERYTHING- pellets, peas, flakes whatever- just no blood worms!) and I don't know what I should do to get him to eat.

Any ideas/suggestions?
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends betta does the exact same thing. He has had it for a few months now and it is still as healthy as can be.
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have never had luck with floating pellet foods for some reason. Even when I used to keep small cichlids they always seemed to prefer flake foods. You could try one of the flake foods made for bettas instead maybe.
NakitiDL
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both bettas I owned did this. The first betta I had would not, even after a full week, until I fed him some freezedried bloodworms. After that, he would eat anything I gave him. The second betta (and the one I still have), was not that picky, but I believe it still took him almost a week to begin eating. You could try the bloodworms, or just keep trying to feed him the current food. Just remove any food they don't eat. They won't starve themselves to death.
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you had this betta? If you've just recently brought him home, go back to the LFS and ask them what they were feeding. Try blending that with what you already have and eventually wean off the LFS food.

My betta is a very picky eater. It took persistence, but eventually he accepted the pellets I offered.

In the meantime, offer a pea, but use tweezers and hold part of the pea above the water to tease the betta with it. The predatory instinct should kick in and when you lower the pea to the surface, the betta ought to strike at it like prey.

If he's hungry enough, he'll eat anything.
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ding dong of a betta even will eat the algae wafers and shrimp pellets that I feed my corys! He actually "lays" across the algae wafer and tries to defend it, the little turkey!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: