Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Mountain Bike
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
nick89_
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)16:40    Post subject: Mountain Bike Reply with quote

Hey, who's into mountain biking on here? It's how I got into fishkeeping because a few days before Christmas, I broke my leg on my bike and wanted to get a passive hobby for the summer holidays and my girlfriend asked if I wanted fish for Christmas, so now the ball is rolling.......
Anyway, what do you ride? What's your favourite discipline? Just some talk about mtbs.

I ride a STP 0 and my favourite type of riding is 4x, which I have raced state a couple of times and national over here in Australia. But I do ride lots more things besides that, like dh (love it) and xc and when I'm bored or around my house, doing street and dirtjumps.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dirt jump and trail ride once in a while. I ride a Kona Stuff with DJ3s. We have some great trails in a woodlot on the mountain out here. Some good ladders and bridges.
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

You live in because I see, is it as good as all the videos seem to make it? Have you ever been to Whistler? I really want to go there in the next few years.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen any because videos, but the biking is pretty good. We build all of our own jumps on peoples property and ride them until we get kicked off and have to fix their unused yards.

I've never even been to whistler, for boarding or biking. Kind of pathetic, huh? My buddy went though and he said it was good, but you need a full suspension bike. He was riding his Stuff with dropoffs on the first day, and he couldn't move the second day. After that, he used his full suspension Kona Stinky and he said it was perfect.

For trail riding, I mostly go to a place called Doumont. It's on a mountain over here and theres some awesome trails, especially if you are into doing drops and taking photos.

For DJ, I just ride around until I find a lot that doesn't have a house on it. They aren't hard to find.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

whistler was overrated IMHO... I've had much more fun visiting some random parks in Ontario and New York. I don't use rear suspension, ever... energy robbing junk Wink sure it saves some energy downhill, but eats it anywhere else...

I have a Cannondale, but would go for Kona next time... better bike for the money.

Course, with 3 kids, a job and a mortgage... I don't get to ride as often as I'd like... so it probably no longer matters what bike I own... it sits in the garage most of it's life now anyway! LOL
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that rear suspension is a waste in most cases. It costs too much initially and you have to work WAY too hard to get anywhere. Plus, I never sit down when I ride. Jumping, you need to stand up, and on trail you have to stand up to get anywhere, or else you're hurting for a few days.

What kind of riding do you do, #6?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my street/trail bike. It's a 2004 or 2005 (don't remember) stock Kona Blast. I hate the suspension, but it's my sister's bike and she never rides it, so I ride it on the street. It beats lugging around a 40 pound DJ bike!
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don;t own a dually, but the only time I would use it for would be when doing downhill and freeride and maybe a 4" travel dually like the Yeti 4x or Santa Cruz Blur for 4x, even though they are both really expensive. I wouldn't use one for anything else.

The area I live at is fairly suburban, but I still have some dirtjumps in a gully at a place called Bronte (in Sydney), but they have eroded away as I broke my leg so I can't fix them.

How big are the average drops at Whistler?
brett_fishman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2004 norco 4by with dj3 fork...pretty lame ride

I race DH in the spring and summer, I also race dual slalom when they have races, I live right near the course...

I've been to whistler 5 times, maybe more...I love it there...

in my opinion, a-line is overrated...I like dirt merchant and whistler downhill much better...

but yea, whistler on a bike with only 4" of travel sucks balls..haha..I blew my fox shock last time I was there...I did a 6' drop to crappy landing...

-brett.
1 yoyo loach [going to 75]
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: