Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Brichardi
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
gstrydom
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)3:38    Post subject: Brichardi Reply with quote

I recently saw a breeding pair of these lovely "Fairy Cyclids" for the first time in real life after having seen them only on pictures.
I am now planning to set up a tank with a pair.
It seems from reading this website and others, that they may be best kept on their own - any thoughts on tank mates in a 120 liter setup - if any?
Ron J.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that your tank is full with those 2 especially if they are a breeding pair. For a small fish they are very territorial and will fill that 120 liter tank up with fry in no time. In a much larger tank it is awesome to see the pecking order of a couple generations of fry and how well they protect their fry and territory from intruders no mater what the size.
good luck.
gstrydom
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - will be their own tank then.
Are they as destructive on live plants as the larger African cyclids?
I am now looking for a breeding pair - anyone seeing a loving couple somewhere in a LFS in North London, please let me know ASAP!!
Ron J.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some java fern and I have never seen them even nibble at it.
I have never seen them for sale at a LFS either in my area so I don't know how hard it will be to track a breeding pair down.
Good luck let us know how you make out.
gstrydom
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually know of 2 LFS's that have some, but they are still quite young and very difficult to sex when so young.
Will keep looking for a pair.
Else I may have to get a few of the youngsters and once 2 have paired up, move the others out of the tank.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

they often require a larger tank for pairing... once paired, you can place in a smaller tank.
Be warned, pairing is a violent process and fish go from fine to dead overnight once a pair forms. You will need a second tank running at all times to rescue all cichlids after the pair forms.

Hope this helps
Ron J.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6 wrote:
they often require a larger tank for pairing... once paired, you can place in a smaller tank.
Be warned, pairing is a violent process and fish go from fine to dead overnight once a pair forms. You will need a second tank running at all times to rescue all cichlids after the pair forms.

Hope this helps

Never had that problem with mine and to be truthfully honest never seen them ever fight with each other either. The most aggression that I have ever seen is a gill flare and a gentle brush. At the moment I still have the original 3 that I started out with 2 males and a female and around 7-10 juvies that I think may stay there for now until they get a little bigger. But who is to say that I am right either. #6 has been keeping fish a lot longer than I so go with what he says but he may be just talking about cichlids in general also.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Rice wrote:
At the moment I still have the original 3 that I started out with 2 males and a female.
this is extremely rare with brichardi! Almost unheard of... the typical pattern is that any group of brichardi are put in a tank, and soon a pair forms and begins killing the rest of the brichardi in the tank.

This has been my experience with brichardi as well and there cousins gracilis and marunguensis

goes to show how much these little fishes personality can alter experiences... Very Happy
gstrydom
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.28(Sun)15:59    Post subject: Found them! Reply with quote

I found 2 beauties - the guy at the LFS is a Brichardi fan as well. I have now what both he and I thought are a male and female - the one rounder and the other a more elongated shape.
They rounder one took residence under some rocks and has already removed all the gravel down to glass bottom of the tank under the rock.
The other guy stays at the opposite side of the tank under a piece of driftwood. They do not show aggression to each other, but also no real interest to share the same territory.
I need to know which sex usually prepares the nestinging area (removal of the gravel). Do they first pair up and then prepare a home? or will one of the two start digging and then invite the other over?
They are absolutely facinating to watch - There are 2 white clouds still in the tank with them which I have been unable to net out yet - up to now they are still surviving, but I guess I need to save them soon or they might be dinner!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: