Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black Fin Sharks
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
saluki07
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)1:57    Post subject: Black Fin Sharks Reply with quote

Have some questions on the behavior of Black Fin Sharks

My black fin sharks are sitting still at the bottom of the tank on occasion. They just lay there and then swim around like usual. Is this common? When I first purchased them they swam like crazy and now, I sometimes find them just resting along the bottom. Is this OK?
saluki07
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)16:24    Post subject: Black fin Sharks Reply with quote

Can anyone help with my Sharks?
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need more information than that. Like tank size and parametors, your stocking, and what kind of "sharks". Also what do you think is wrong with your fish
saluki07
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ten gallon tank, with two pink kissing gouramis, a pleco, one dragon fish, and four ghost shrimp, and the sharks are the black fin sharks (catfish). They eat regularly and are not bothered by the other fish, I think that maybe they are resting along the bottom. I have gravel on the bottom and it is about pebble size, so I wonder if they are laying on it since they cannot burrow in it
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say this but your setup is one huge disaster waiting to happen. Except for the ghost shrimp, none of your other fish are suitable for a 10G tank. If you really want to care for fish and have them thrive in your tank (not just have small ones for a few months), you need to return those fish ASAP. You can then post in the FW Basics forum to get assistance in choosing a suitable population of fish that can happily live their entire lives in your 10G.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
saluki07
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about transfering to a larger tank?
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how much larger it is. If it helps my 10 gallon is considered over stocked with just 2 raphael cats and a mystery snail...... If you feel like spending the money and waiting the time to do it right then you might could make it work. I would research each fish's tank needs and the silent cycle.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

saluki07 wrote:
What about transfering to a larger tank?

Of course. Although there are still some incompatibility issues regarding water preferences of those species, keeping them in a suitably large tank makes all the difference. Your sharks and gouramies can reach 30 cm each, and an appropriate tank for that population would be about 500 liters (125G).

Obviously, although recommendable, you don't have to set up a tank like that immediately. A 75G should be good enough for the first year or two...but they will eventually outgrow it.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcos, since you seem good at theese things, do you think my cats will be OK in the 10 gallon tank untill june or maybe even august? I do 50% water changes weekly and the tank is planted to help with waste.
saluki07
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know of any good place that I could find a tank that is 75 or more gallons for around $100? Money is kinda tight these days, and the best thing I've found so far is a 55 gallon
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: