Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black water and Raphael catfish
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)0:48    Post subject: Black water and Raphael catfish Reply with quote

Would it be a good idea to use black water extract in my 10 gallon tank with raphael catfish in it. From the discription it makes the water more like the amazon, which would make my fish feel more at home I think. I can not list all the paramaters of my tank but I can list theese.
pH: 6.4
amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Temerature: 78-80f

http://www.tetra-fish.com/catalog/product.aspx?id=76
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what their water conditions may be in the wild, the very best thing you can do for catfish in the aquarium is to give them plenty of fresh water, as much as you can. That means water changes, and very few additives in the water. Your water parameters look good now, especially that low pH. If you can keep it like that naturally, I would not add anything else. I think in your case, with only 10 gallons, you would not want to add any water conditioners other than dechlorinator, and that includes not adding a blackwater extract.
If you ever get a really large set-up going, with an Amazon feel to it, you will find that in time the water becomes "black" from the tannins leached from the wood. You will not need to add anything.

What you should add is a couple of caves for these fish, do not wait until they get bigger. A couple of clean PVC pipes or, if you don't like that look, rearrange or add more of that attractive rockwork to form the caves and long crevices. Good luck with your fish! They are very handsome.
Very Happy
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: