Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: SNAIL Infestation! Why? What should I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.19(Thu)18:55    Post subject: Cycling? Reply with quote

You say this had been cycling for 3+ weeks. But no fish.
Is there any ammonia being added to the tank to start the cycling process? The ammonia processing cycle reallly requires a source of ammonia to begin. Are you adding food to this tank, to feed the snails? Food alone can begin the process.

Those specks in jelly are pond snails. Often the jelly is C shaped. they reproduce to match the food supply, so I was wondering if you were adding food.
pudstah
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)0:51    Post subject: snails r us Reply with quote

yep, I have been adding a bit of food - about 1 sinking pellet per day - which I have stopped for the past 3 days (when I first noticed the eggs). apart from dechlorinator on the first day, I haven't added anything else chemically to the water.

if they are pond snails, which you think they seem to be as well - I don't think I'll be worried as I do intend to keep bluegills who will pick them off relentlessly.

I was wondering if I should add more or all of the plants I want to have before I get the fish? and when I do get the plants, I read that I can bathe them in some kind of solution to remove any weird bacterias that may be on them? what does everyone prefer - I have heard several different ones?

I also have questions about lighting but I haven't yet read the other posts so I'll try to do that today on my lunch break. at the moment all I have is a 15W bulb. I don't know anything about ballasts or lumens or how I can tell what they are (as the bulbs don't say very much on the packets?)

cheers for the help,
chrissy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
pudstah
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.20(Fri)7:35    Post subject: identification! Reply with quote

I'm a real beginner with plants, but I've gone thru most of the plants in the garden section on aquahobby and I think the type of plant I have in my tank now is elodea. the pic looks almost exactly like it, and the description of the bottom leaves going brown seems to describe exactly what's happening with mine right now (jeez my light must be really weak, as my tank's only about 12 or so inches high?). I'm thinking that since I had a whole load of duckweed on top that it was blocking some of the light from getting to it possibly?

I think one of my favourite plants in the whole section was the green cabomba - it looks gorgeous, and I remember my roommate had that or something that looked very similar in one of our tanks previously - but I don't remember ever having problems with it shedding like described. he had a tiny largemouth bass who loved swimming through it. with the tubed cannister filter, I wonder if that would decrease the worry of it getting caught up in it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
Fr0$t
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)8:12    Post subject: URGENT snail problem Reply with quote

I have maybe hundreds of snails in my tank. Any chemicals to kill them? They eat everything!!!

EDIT: Please do not post in ALL-CAPS. Thanks...mario
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)8:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

First aid: pick them out by hand. Every morning, just after you turn on the light, it will be the easiest. If you do this for about a week you will make a major dent in the population.

For more permanet control you can get yourself some loaches that do eat snails. Chemicals are a poor choice, since you will end up with a massive amount of dead animals in your tank all at once. In addition to the toxin to kill the snails this can be quite a threat to your water quality... mario
Fr0$t
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks starting tommorow ill try that. I don't mind 1 - 2 snails but they are all over the place!
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a pretty little fish that lives in the waters where you live, Fro$t. It is small and innoffensive to it's tankmates. It's called the Pygmy Sunfish, Elassoma evergladei.
Baby snails just so happen to be it's favorite food, and just one or two pygmies will keep your tank snail-free.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)10:09    Post subject: Overfeeding Reply with quote

You must be overfeeding. They reproduce to consume the food supply.

Try feeding lightly, only once a day.
Rotem
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was overrun by pond snails. And they were everywhere.
Picking them by hand didn't actually work in the long run. I even tried coppersafe which didn't do anything.
Two weeks ago I bought a Yoyo loach, and now I actualy have to take the time searching for snails, he just eats them at night when they come out.
Just go with a loach...they do the work.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.06.23(Mon)11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I realize my experience is surely strange....I've seen my large (over an inch long) ghost shrimp snag up snails and eat them with gusto.

Also, what kind of snails are we talking about here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to: