Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: SNAIL Infestation! Why? What should I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Grace
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.15(Thu)14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do normal "pond snails" eat plants? A few days ago I put several hundred into a 40 liter tank to keep the algae down, and they seem to be eating it.... On one wall there are little tracks all over the glass where they have eaten patterns out of the green coating. Laughing But will they eat my plants? As far as I can tell I have two kinds, one snail I caught in a melbourne creek, (he's a "nice" snail) and a few of the hundreds the rest that weren't eaten as babies, the big ones in the ponds where I got them were about 2cm long and I guess "football shaped". Will they eat the plants, or just the algae? I have cabomba, elodea and some kind of millfoil. If they will stick to the algae I want to keep them because I keep on getting algae epidemics, most of the tank filled with waving curtains of green fuzz. I don't overfeed, and I seem to have trouble keeping the snails alive, aparently they haven't heard they're pests! Smile I think my fish eat the eggs, I hardly ever see them anymore.
nextgrext
Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.12(Thu)21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuhli loaches and goldfish (which ever one suites your tank and it's inhabitants best)
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.16(Mon)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

My room mates 2.4 gallon tank is infested with little snails...what should I do? I obviously can't buy another fish to eat them.... should I give the full tank an alum bath?(wouild take the fish out for this)
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.15(Fri)9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copper Sulfate will kill snails. Might turn your water a little blue though. Won't harm fish either. LFS's should stock it. It's dirt cheap.
Barchef
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2007.06.29(Fri)20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pond snails (they look like pond snails) only eat algae. I thought they were pests, and removed em, but one survived, mated with my ramshorn to produce an interestingly colored hybrid,and now they're my algae owning team Twisted Evil . I reccommend pond snails though, they didn't eat plants before they mixed, and they look nice.
I_Love_Boxers
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.10.13(Sat)8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have snails in my 55 gal tank, and would like them to go away. What can I put in my tank that my Oscar will not eat? All I have in the tank is wood and a plecostimus (sp?) and my big oscar (3 or so years old). I really don't want these little snails at all and have no idea where they came from since I do not have live plants and breed my own food. Please help me!!!
martin78898
Members

PostPosted: 2008.02.10(Sun)22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. Thanks for the help. One question about the Rams (Microgeophagus ramirezi), will they attack other fish in the fish tank (like tetras). I have a 10 Gallon tank.
Jacko
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2008.02.10(Sun)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, a 10 gallon tank isn't really big enough for rams, you might be able to get away with a single specimen but they tend to be aggressive towards tankmates either way. What is your stocking at the moment?
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.05(Wed)18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try clown loaches they are great for that stuff also try a slice of cucumber at night, then turn out the lights wait a couple of hours and pull out the cucumber slice

You could also try searching for eggs they are clear with white spots in them then just pull out and throw away Smile
Finkeldinken
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.03.10(Mon)23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use yellow Apple snails to control my snail population.
They don't eat the smaller snail species themselves, but they seem to be very fond of snail eggs, and are very fast to clean up any excess fishfood, so they are very good at outmaneuvering the other snail species.

Those guys and a snail trap everyonce in a while to get to the grownups and the graveldiggersnails. Works very well. Smile

You with the Oscars: Maybe you can keep a few big Apple snails with them to help you control the sanil population? I do not have personal experience with Oscars, so I'm not sure it'll work out or if the Oscars will bother the snails too much, but I think it's weel worth a try.

(...the computer says no... Wink)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to: