Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: SNAIL Infestation! Why? What should I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
WhUtAcLaSsIc
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.10(Mon)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke up this mornin and found a ton of snails in my 10 gallon.They are everywhere in the tank, they cover the whole tank.I had some letuce in the tank wit some convicts that I had in there.Does anyone kno what might of happened and does anyone kno what I can do to fix it Question Rolling Eyes
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.03.10(Mon)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow a snail or snail eggs has snuck in. Now all you can do in your size tank is fish them out by hand. Try putting a jar with a slice of cooked zuchinni or lettuce in it at night...Then in the morning remove all the snails from the jar.
Jay
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.10(Mon)17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you introduce any live plants recently?

They might have contained snail eggs or snails. Snails are asexual so they can breed by themselves so this means that all you need is one snail to cause a massive infestation.
WhUtAcLaSsIc
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.10(Mon)19:00    Post subject: What happened??? Reply with quote

I have never had any live plants in this tank.I gave my fish away last night and I woke up this mornin and they were all over the place Exclamation
Alex56

PostPosted: 2003.03.10(Mon)19:03    Post subject: Plants Reply with quote

I recently got a live plant and my tank is also infested with snails.
WhUtAcLaSsIc
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.11(Tue)17:17    Post subject: What happened??? Reply with quote

How do I get rid of the snails Rolling Eyes , there is literally about 1,000 of them
Exclamation
Tsartetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.12(Wed)8:55    Post subject: Do all loaches eat snails? Reply with quote

I knew the Clown Loach ate snails (cannot put them in my little 10 gal), but Khuli?! No way! Really? Has anyone seen evidence of this?

Anyone know if Red-tail blacks ever munch on snails?

I have LOTS of pond snails and the way I formerly kept them under control was to smash them so my angel and emperor tetras could gobble them up. Then I had a massive parasite problem (either flukes or leaches! Clout took care of them) so I stopped crushing them. I had a re-infestation and had to use Clout again. Am I destined to repeat this cycle unless I get my pond snail problem eliminated or under control? Pond snails do carry those parasites my tank got infested with, right? Suggestions? I'll see about trying a snail trap, but I've been considering adding salt. Would that control such large parasites as flukes/leaches? Would it harm my emperor tetras (I've heard salt is not a good idea for Neons....I read badman's article on salt, just wishing for some feedback!)
corylover
Members

PostPosted: 2003.03.12(Wed)11:01    Post subject: Re: Do all loaches eat snails? Reply with quote

Tsartetra wrote:
I knew the Clown Loach ate snails (cannot put them in my little 10 gal), but Khuli?! No way! Really? Has anyone seen evidence of this?

I doubt it! I have several kuhli loaches, but I've never seen them eating snails. Rolling Eyes

But clown loaches just love them Laughing Problem is: you need lots of space to keep them happy and healthy.

I just crush the snails against the wall of my tank. Horrible, yes Twisted Evil , but the fish in my tank just love it.
Tsartetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.12(Wed)12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever experienced a parasite infestation due to snails? I'm fairly certain that is where mine came from.

I've had Khuli's (once a LONG time ago!) and never saw them eat snails either.
Tsartetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.03.12(Wed)13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stated previously, I used to smash snails for my fish and they loved them. However, I thought that may have introduced flukes/leaches into my tank, so I stopped. However, I had a re-infestation, so I guess it's the snails presence (being carriers) and not whether or not I squash them....

Anyone else have this problem?

And does anyone know how emperor tetras would react to salt in the water (thinking of using it to attempt parasite control rather than waiting until I see those buggers...)?
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to: