Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
disappearing shrimp?
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
modesta2
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)17:42    Post subject: disappearing shrimp? Reply with quote

Last night I bought 4 amano shrimps, hoping that they will survive this time. About a month ago, I bought 2 and they disappeared in one day.I am pretty sure they died, not hiding. I checked the only bugwood I have but they were not hiding anywhere near the wood.This time, 2 out of 4 shrimps did the same thing again...

My tank is heavily planted 20g with 7 glowlight tetras, 7 cardinal tetras, 1 blue ram, 1 bristle nose pleco, and 6 panda cories. I know my tank is over stocked Embarassed Anyway, I have no idea what's wrong with my tank or the shrimps... I only dose ferts when I do weekly water change. What could have happened????? I want to see the shrimps really badly Crying or Very sad
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to thank off the top of my head , I'd say the blue ram.
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either the ram or the ferts. Also check to see if your tap water has copper in it.
kitty
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)16:22    Post subject: Shrimp Reply with quote

It's possible that the amano shrimp died, fell to the gravel, and were eaten by your bottom feeders and/or snails. I bought some amano shrimp, and they all died in 2 weeks, although I had a fully cycled tank with no predatory fish. I do have fairly alkaline water (7.8 pH) so maybe that did it. I think shrimp in general are very sensitive to anything but perfect water conditions. I don't think they like fertilizer, either.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly possible that the shrimp have died.

However, it's also possible that they are fine and just hiding. I put five Amano shrimp in my tank and didn't see them for, literally, several months. Then, one day I saw a shrimp skin in that tank!! So - I knew that at least one of them was still alive. Since then I find a skin every two weeks or so. I know my fish eat the skins so I don't know how many skins I don't see. About two weeks ago we actually saw one of the shrimp inside my bogwood (there's a crack in one side, we were looking for a missing fish with a flashlight and just happened to see the shrimp). I have Angels in that tank so I believe the shrimp continue hiding to stay alive.

I put four Amano shrimp in my smaller tank and we see all four of them every day - all day. There are no fish in that tank that prey on them so I believe they feel completely safe to out and about most of the time.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: