Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
VERY Fat Harlequin Rasbora?!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)22:42    Post subject: VERY Fat Harlequin Rasbora?! Reply with quote

One of my six harlequin rasboras is really fat. I know its a girl and so she must be full of eggs. Why won't she release them? She is getting fatter everyday. She eats and acts normally though. Could she literaly explode from all the eggs inside her? Is there anything I can do to help her release them? I know there is atleast one male in the group also.

ADDED:
Just to let you know I have many plants and decorations in their tank along with 2 botia kubotai, 1 dwarf gourami, and 3 snails
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetras and rasboras are difficult to breed in aquariums, they usually carry eggs, but don't release them, which is what my black skirt tetra probably did. I just left her, thinking it was just the way things were until I left them for 3 weeks. came back to find 4 fish dead and she apparently dropped the eggs. again, I wasn't there to see it and I don't know if it was something that just happened when I was away or something my dad did, I'm not sure. point is, my black skirt was acting fine even though he was about twice as think as her 3 buddies. just make sure it isn't some kind of swelling, or dropsy. and, if you can, try posting a picture.

tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill post a picture soon!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a female rasbora that was really fat as well. I know they were spawning because I saw them displaying spawning behavior. Plus I know I have one female that will follow the other couples around when they are spawning and eat the eggs as they lay them. That female gets fat during spawning time. Anyway, the female looked plump for a couple of days and then everything returned to normal. I've noticed this happens a lot with the rasboras, but I've never seen any ill effects from it.
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is "spawning behaviour""? I've seen my harlequins do some interesting "dances" and whatnot, between male and female (I think), but I don't know if its spawing...
Jon_The_Newb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danikins: To lay their eggs, the female flips upside down under a leaf and lays the eggs on the underside. While the female is doing that, the male slides up next to her, wraps his tail around her (kinda like a U) and fertilizes them.

Jon
brett_fishman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetrabarb:

you must keep loaches in groups of 5 or more, and your 20g tank is too small for just one full size kubotai...sorry to say...you'd need a 45+ gallon tank to house a group (5+) botia kubotai comfortably..loaches are active fish, they need room to swim..and kubotai grow to around 5" each

see the profile here: Loaches Online (click)

good luck,
brett.
1 yoyo loach [going to 75]
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: