Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Top Fin 10 Filter Question
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)17:23    Post subject: Top Fin 10 Filter Question Reply with quote

My Top Fin HOB filter uses the drop-in cartridges. I know not to remove filter media as this can cause a cycle to occur. I was noticing though that the outside of my filter cartridge is getting VERY dirty looking. I've tried rinsing it in tank water but the flow still seems to be diminished after rinsing it. The water coming into the filter actually seems to be dribbling back into the tank like it's not being sucked through the filter cartridge fast enough. Is there something I should do about this? Or does it matter? I've got another thread going in Freshwater Basics about some trouble I've been having with a mini-cycle that began when I took out a large decoration.

My worries: This thing with the filter will make the cycle worse, there is something wrong with the filter, I don't know what the heck I'm doing!

Also, why do the instructions that come with the filter and cartridges tell you to change the cartridge every 4 weeks??? Wouldn't you just be starting a cycle over and over again by doing that?
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the intake, I have been using a tetra power 10 thingy for a while now with no problems. You may also need to clean the impeller. Also it would be a good idea to open the cartridge and remove the carbon.
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I removed the carbon a couple of days ago and I took apart the filter to make sure that everything was working properly. Exactly how do YOU clean your impeller? Maybe I didn't do it right.
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=40935&highlight=impeller should be similar to what bob says in this, I havent had to do it yet.
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it hurt that much to remove one of the filtes? Or do you only have one filter on that HOB?

I have the filter and also a foam thing on the filter intake. It's great - the filter intake foam traps any food and makes it available for fish and shrimp in the tank. W/out the prefilter, any food that gets filtered rots inside the filter, not available for the fish or shrimp.

Just my 2 cents.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: