Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
keeping Brine Shrimp
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Prowlus
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)14:47    Post subject: keeping Brine Shrimp Reply with quote

I just bought a "sea monkey kit" as a way to relax (my 3 tanks are nowhere near my computer) when upstairs and a possible harvestable alternative food scource on ocassion for my small tropical and cold water tanks, thus saving me pounds of buying bloodworm, beefheart and krill .
Right now, the setup is a small container of water which has been salinised/conditioned . according to the label , this can last me 2 years . Is there anything else I can put in the tank to increase the lil shrimp's chances?
kitty
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)16:27    Post subject: Brine Shrimp Reply with quote

You do need to feed them if you want them to survive to adulthood. A couple days after they hatch, start giving very tiny pinches of powdered spirulina algae. It takes about 3 weeks for them to grow to adulthood (you will notice that they grow to about 1/4"), then they mate, lay eggs and die. I kept a colony alive for about 3 months. But eventually, the wastes build up and they die. I could not figure out how to change out the water without taking the shrimp with it, as they are so small.
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

an alternative is to culture infusoria. boil some lettuce, put it in a jar with aquarium water, and put the jar near a sunny window. these cultures sometimes crash though. on a second note, brine shrimp have a short lifespan. the 2 years on the lable is the amount of time the colony in a tank can sustain itself.

here's a wikipedia article on sea monkeys that's mildly amusing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_monkeys

Prowlus
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.04(Sun)17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. Currently I bought this for my monkeys

http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brinemp3.jpg

supposed to accelerate their growth tenfold. Is this a good idea or would I need to get a battery air pump too?
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.02.04(Sun)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever get tired of your sea monkeys, get some triops. They are a similar concept, except they are freshwater, and you can actually see them! Laughing
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: