Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Please Help Not Sure How To Treat My Aquarium.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
M0rDaRvIa
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)16:45    Post subject: Please Help Not Sure How To Treat My Aquarium. Reply with quote

January 17th 2007

Well My Black Molly (Tubbs Has Got Fungas it looks like mouth fungas that has spread) Today I went to My lfs and picked up (API Liquid Fungas Cure).
to Treat my 17 gallon Tank. Now it says to remove the Carbon From my filter I have a whisper filter and one side is like a charcoal basket the other one is cotton with carbon in it I believe. Now It Says on the directions to treat the tank for 48 hours. Now my question is during this time while the tank is being treated I have a few airstones. Should I just turn off the filter. for that period of time. or just remove the carbon filter inside. I'm just afraid I'm going to kill all my good bacteria. Any Help at all would be so appreciated. Thanks In advance.

MoRdArViA Twisted Evil
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remove the any carbon that is in the filter box...it is the carbon which will absorb the medicine. I am not familiar with the particular med you are using, but keep your ammonia and nitrite test kits handy just in case!

Cathy
ABryce
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

API makes very good meds but yes you must remove the carbon, with it simply in the tank it will absorb the meds Sad
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from treating the fish (Good luck by the way). I would be asking why it has gotten the fungus.

Normally fungus is a sign of poor water quality, but in the case of Mollies, it is often down to poor water quality, and being kept in the wrong conditions.

Mollies like (Need) much harder water than most "Community" fish, if they are kept in soft water, they suffer stress that often leads to Fungus, Ich etc.

Bob
M0rDaRvIa
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

January 19th 2007

As far as my Molly with mouth fungas is concerned how did he get it. He's fairly new 2 the tank as in 5 days ago I think he had it when he came from the store. the only thing I am very concerned about is...The directions on the meds said to remove the carbon from the filter. and to add the meds wait for 48 hours and then 2 dose again wait 48 hours then replace the carbon and do a 25% water change. I'm very worried about basically running my aquarium unfiltered for that period of time. any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

MoRdArViA Twisted Evil
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)4:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and to add the meds wait for 48 hours and then 2 dose again wait 48 hours then replace the carbon and do a 25% water change.

If you read that again, all it is saying is take out any carbon in your filter. It is not saying don't use your filter.

Some filters come with an extra layer of media called Acitve Carbon. This is basically small peices of carbon (Charcoal) that is in a bag, or even bonded onto a sponge (Depending on your filter type).

It works because it has been heat treated in such away that it will take out certain pollutants out of the water, by chemical attraction. Once the carbon is full up, it no longer works, so you replace it every few weeks.

Most long term fish keepers don't use it on a long term basis, they just keep some in a cupboard and use it when needed.

The sorts of things Active Carbon takes out of the water are organic molecules so it works on, dyes (Discolourations), many medications, odours etc.

All the instructions are saying is "If you put this medication in the tank, with Carbon in your filter, it will not work, because the Carbon will soak it up before it does any good".

Bob
theboomboomcars
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

To remove the carbon you need to pull the plastic clip off the top of cotton media that holds it in, and dump the carbon out. You can either save this, or through it away and get some new carbon to put in when you are done. The smaller black mesh is part of the biological filtration, so leave it in.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: