Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
38 Gal Hex tank sprung a leak, resiliconing help!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
55hexfresh
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)9:13    Post subject: 38 Gal Hex tank sprung a leak, resiliconing help! Reply with quote

Hello, I have been away from the board for some time now, and am back to ask a question and hope some kind soul can provide an answer. Our 38 Gallon Hex tank which we purchased from another owner has sprung a leak in the silicone along one of the up and down seams. The tank is pretty old, about 20 years old to the best recollection of the person we got it from. I came out in the morning and saw that the level was down by about 4 inches from the top. The tank was full the night before, so it was a pretty good sized leak. I immediately got the fish out of that tank into a 10 gallon tank temporarily with a filter and heater. Luckily we only have about 7 fish right now, so they should be OK in there for a few days while I repair this. I went and purchased the non-toxic 100% aquarium silicone. The seam that was leaking you could look at it and tell that it had worn down by the way it looked and felt when you ran your finger down it. The seam just next to it on the other side of the same piece of glass did not look good either, there was a pocket of air in it and when you ran your finger down it or pressed on it, you could see the silicone was not very well attached there either. So I drained the tank and set to work removing the old silicone from these 2 seams and resiliconing them. I completely removed the silicone from the inside and outside, ensuring that 100% of the old silicone was gone. Then I carefully applied the new silicone to the inside first and then the outside. My question is, do you think I should have redone all the seams? The others still looked OK as far as no air pockets, and I didn't have a lot of time, but now I am wondering if it may be worth just doing the other 4 seams and having the tank down for another 4 days. My concern with doing this is that I am not even sure if the 2 that I did came out properly, and will be watertight. I could not find a good guide or faq for repairing or resiliconing a HEX tank, most seem to refer to just plain rectangular tanks, and the seams are very different. I used common sense and cut away the old silicone and filled in the gaps best I could with the new stuff. It says wait 48 hours to add water, I did the repair around 6 tuesday night, so 6 tonight will be when I can add water and test the repair. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.
55hexfresh
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what I will do, depending upon what people say here is to order a 10oz tube of Nuflex 333 from Nuco http://www.nucoinc.com/silicone.html and redo all up and down seams. Does anyone think this is a good idea? Anyone have any experience with Nuflex 333 Aquarium sealant? Also, If I am to do this, can someone possibly point me in the direction of a guide for the proper procedure of resiliconing a hex tank?

***I am now realizing that maybe this should have been posted in a different section, maybe DIY?*** Sorry Mods, please feel free to move it if you want to.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: