Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I'm a bad netter :(
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)1:22    Post subject: I'm a bad netter :( Reply with quote

My tetras, Tommy the red-eye and Bob the neon, were finally making the move today from their 5 gallon "rescue" quarters into the 35 gallon to live out their retirement years. Well, Bob was looking good as ever when I took the cover off of the 5gal to get them. But when I put him in the pitcher with Tommy to carry them over, he went right into the dead man's float. I looked him over in a panic and saw that nearly his entire tail was gone! He thrashed a few times, and then it was over.

I ripped. His tail off. Crying or Very sad It ripped off so brutally he died within seconds.

I have no idea how it happened. When the net dries I'm going to check it for tears that he might have gotten caught in. I guess I don't really have a question. I'm just feeling so bad and wanted to commiserate. Sad
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thats harsh....poor fish and poor cici...... I can't use regular nets for my fish, I either have to get one made of a special material, or I have to use a cup. I prefere the cup because its cheaper and safer for my fish. I am also am a horrible neter/cuper I normaly have to chase my poor guys around for a few minutes... This is normaly bad because that means they are getting put in a bucket for a 7 hour road trip back to school or home.
nightngle
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry - I know how horrible it feels to hurt one of our little fishies. I'm a terrible netter, too. I did find a better solution for me - I found a large bowl soup ladle that is covered in silicone that I use. The handle helps me control where I'm going in the water, and the ladle scoops water with the fishie. Then I cup my other hand over the ladle to transfer.

Your intentions were to help, not hurt, so please don't be too hard on yourself over this.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME TOO! Terrible terrible netter - and I breed and sell them!

So, I use a nice net, and do check for tears and loose threads. Then I take the tank top off, roll up my sleeves, wash my hands and get both arms into the tank. One hand kind of corals them to the direction I want, while the other controls the net. I've gotten better at it over the last few months, but it is still not something I look forward to. I was actually thinking about going to a lfs and asking for lessons!

It also helps to remove what ever you can so they can't get behind something.

Sorry about your loss ceci.
Cathy
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: