Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Crowntail Betta Question
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)17:08    Post subject: Crowntail Betta Question Reply with quote

About a month ago I was browsing through the LFS and saw an amazingly coloured crowntail betta (male) that was blue with red at the end (wish I had a picture). My question is, can I put a male crowntail betta (read that they are usually agressive) with neon tertas, guppys, and corys. They look very nice and I think it would make a great center-piece fish.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bettas and Guppies shouldn't be mixed as they both have long flowing fins and thus the Betta may see the Guppy as competition and you will have fighting.
Also - some people say that Tetras will nip at Betta fins. I have my male Betta with Neons and Cardinals and haven't seen this behavior. However, when I had Bloodfinnes they did occasionally nip at my Betta. So - I would suggest keeping a very close eye on the fish if you do put Tetras with a Betta.
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I guess if I want a crowntail I'll have to get him his own 10 gal. Any 10 gal. fish that would be okay with a betta?
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not recommend crowntails for any kind of community aquarium -- their breeding background makes them very aggressive, and really only stress out the other inhabitants of the tank, many times to a fatal end. Some people disagree with me, but I've had several CTs and none of them have ever made good community fish. Especially with guppies -- crowntails are faster than typical veiltail bettas, and the fins on guppies slow them down, giving the unfortunate advantage to the crowntail. Tetras are usually fast enough to get away from the betta, but I wouldn't risk it anyways.

A veiltail betta would most likely do beautifully with tetras and cories, however I would still recommend not putting it in there with the guppies. If you still wanted a centerpiece fish, however, you could replace the guppies with platies or another similar fish.

If you have the space, crowntails are beautiful and do wonderfully on their own. I have one in a 5 gallon that he just loves, and he's always flaring and showing off at the things I sometime leave by his tank. They're much more active compared to the veiltails because they have less drag with their fins.

*EDIT* Sorry, didn't see that you'd replied.

For a 10g, I still don't recommend other fish with crowntails, but I've heard that shrimp and snails do alright. You could also try a few cories because the betta is primarily a mid- and top-water fish and the cories are bottom feeders, but be careful with them. Aggression is a sign that the combination won't work in the end, and something else will need to be done.
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a male betta is deffinately out, but what about a female? Would it be all right to put a female betta (any kind) in a community tank?
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a female betta would do just fine. n_n Even crowntail females if you can find them. You may find you'll like females better than males simply because of their abundant personalities. :D Not as drop-dead-gorgeous, obviously, but they make up for it. n_n

As a side note, should you consider adding more than one female (Although, like male bettas, this tends to be the most peaceful number), be sure to keep them in groups of at least 3.
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a male crowntail betta in a 10 gallon with 3 cherry barbs, 3 peppered corys, and a couple of ghost shrimp. I have NEVER seen him act aggressive toward any of them. In fact, they can swim all around him and he just does his own thing and doesn't even notice them. He goes all over that tank, explores every nook and cranny, hides in the plants and caves and never once has he chased or nipped anyone. It helps that none of them look like a betta. Wink
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably get a 10 gal. some time so it will be good to remember that. I think I may put 3 female bettas in my community tank. Thanks for the help everybody!

Fishy me
JWalk79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had great luck with veil-tail bettas in community 10 gallon tanks. Right now I am keeping Sid (my new rainbow colored betta) with a bronze cory, an otto and three zebra danios. He doesn't pay attention to any of them. But none of them have long flowing fins or similar colors, as I have heard these two factors can trigger aggression.

I love bettas so much I am thinking about setting up an old 3 gallon tank I have and getting another one! Laughing
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: