Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Gold barb male mating colors
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)13:49    Post subject: Gold barb male mating colors Reply with quote

Woke up this morning to find that my Gold barb males have donned their mating colors. I guess they like their new 120 gallon home.

PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a beautiful looking fish Very Happy , I want one, do they all look that color, could you take a picture of a female? And do you know how much they cost, they look really cool!!

10 gallon w/ 3 Guppies, and 23 tiny fry
4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post the picture of a female below. They are very similar. The main difference between them is that the female are stockier and larger than the males and don't get the bright orange-red bellies like the males do. However a couple of my females have a very faint red-orange line. I'd post some pictures of this but it appears my card reader just died on me Sad

Gold barbs are between $2 and $3 per fish depending on where you get them. I find that they can be a bit difficult to track down sometimes. The only place that has them around me happens to be Petco which isn't my first choice of a place to get fish. I kind of get backed into the corner though when I want more barbs.

Anyway here's a picture of a female:
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sweet, the female looks cool and colorful too, but I prefer the males, they look better, haha.

I definitely want to get some of those, I'm going to my local Petsmart to see if they have any Smile

4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ryan101
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only are they nicely colored they are very active as well. Mine don't show that much color tho. They are a lighter gold with red fins. The color on your little guy is amazing.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The males are more colorful but they will show off their best colors and behaviors if they have females to impress. Gold barbs are really great fish and in a tank that large you can have a really big school of them. I love how they school tightly together.

~Haname
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 8 in there that I transferred from my 55 gallon. My males were not that colorful in the 55 gallon, but they seem to like their new living quarters. I purchased 8 more today that will be joining the original 8 in the 120 gallon soon.
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww man, ANgela I envy you. I can only afford a 10 gallon, haha, but I guess thats because I'm 15.

How do you get enough money for a 120 gallon aquarium, they're expensive, setting up my 10 gallon tank costs over 100 dollars

4 Betta tanks
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm 25, married, and work full time. That's basically how I get money, but it's still not easy coming up with all of the money. It'll probably take me a few months to get it paid off on the credit cards, but that's what I wanted so I decided to work it into my budget...I don't know if that plastic money is such a good thing sometimes Confused
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walmart carries them a lot, and usually very cheap $1-$2. Its weird as I seldom see them at major petstore chains.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: