Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Advice on driftwood placement?
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
NakitiDL
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.03(Sat)16:07    Post subject: Advice on driftwood placement? Reply with quote

I have found the perfect piece of driftwood for my 29 gallon. Since it will be home to some loaches once it's cycled, I know I can't have it heavily planted. Since they would most likely redecorate my tank with any plants I try, I've decided to go with a nice hardscape instead, but I'm having trouble getting just that perfect placement.

It seems heavy on the left side and unbalanced. I was thinking about doing some sloping with the sand substrate to help, but since the loaches will probably be digging around, anything fancy I try to do likely won't last long. Eventually, I'm going to be heavily planting the wood with java moss, and my idea is to try to make it look like a tree. Any plants I do have will be centered right around the wood, so hopefully the loaches won't bother them too much. Should I put a group of rocks on the right side underneath that large branch? Or maybe another, smaller piece of driftwood?
brianD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.03(Sat)20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe lay a small and thin piece on the right towards the front
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.03(Sat)23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this would work or not, but try rotating the base so the branch that is sticking out is pointing more towards the front of the tank. The different angle may be enough to distract the eye from the length of the branch.
aqua-artist
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.02.04(Sun)3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I like that piece of wood... I think it would look better if it was sloped.
Check out this small article, there's a little section about wood which I hope will help you a bit:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=39306

Cheers
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.07(Wed)15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get your hands on it, weeping moss would look amazing with that piece of driftwood.
NakitiDL
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.07(Wed)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is weeping moss the same thing as Christmas moss? I had decided against java moss and was going to go with the Christmas stuff, and that weeping moss looks very similar.

As for the placement, I ended up putting the driftwood on the other side of the tank and flipping it around, and I'm happy with it now. Smile I'll post some pictures once I get a few plants in there.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.07(Wed)23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakitiDL wrote:
Is weeping moss the same thing as Christmas moss? I had decided against java moss and was going to go with the Christmas stuff, and that weeping moss looks very similar.

Not quite the same. Christmas moss tends to grow upwards, while weeping moss droops down, like a weeping willow tree. The catch is that weeping moss is expensive and can be difficult to obtain. I ordered some online and they substituted fives times the amount of java moss instead Rolling Eyes .
NakitiDL
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.08(Thu)6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

How rude. Rolling Eyes

I'll look and see if I can find the weeping moss anywhere, because I do like it. But I've already found someone who carries Christmas moss, so if I can't find weeping moss, I'll go with that instead.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: