Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Makin me Nervous...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jusslaxin28
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)19:00    Post subject: Makin me Nervous... Reply with quote

-Well, I just recently purchased the aquariumplants.com( The Best) regulator, as well as the rio reacter, and SMS122 pH monitor.
Being a bit naive, I ran it without the proper testing equipment(KH test kits, which I plan to but tomorrow). I ran the regulator at 1 bubble per second, and greadually moved it to 2 bubbles per second. As you know, the Milwaukee shuts off the Co2 regulator when the co2 brings the pH lower than the set point.(6.9) Strangely, my monitor now refuses to let my regulator work, because my pH is suprisingly extremely low- 5.6. I don't believe my problem is my monitor- meaning I may have to re-calibrate it, which I did 2 times. I just don't understand how to get my pH back up; and have my regulator releasing more co2 in my tank. I initially believed that water changes would bring up my pH(my natural pH is 8.0) and it did , but only to the point of 6.2 or so. My 29 gallon aquarium is relatively understocked- the way I like it with- 6 Neon Tetras
3- Zebra Danios
1-Platy
( I know the danios should have more in their school yet I've bred these golen longfinned varieties myself so these 3 are all theyve known.
I have a heavily planted aquarium with -

Rotala Indicta(spelling)
Diandra Didiplis
Crinum Callistratum
Sagittaria subulata
Brazilian Micro Sword
Java Moss
Anubias Nana Pygmy
I'm' hoping my plants /fish won't take a direct beating even though I've noticed a sort of green algae thats started to grow in my previously crystal clear tank. I suppose this happened because of the lack of co2 injection
Help would TRULY be Appreciated, Thank You
Austin Wink
bobfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

well to bring up the hardness you can add 1 tsp of baking soda per 40 gallons. this will raise the KH by 1 so do it very gradualy like 1 tsp per 2 days. the rason is one its hard on your fish and mainly to it will cause a pH swing wich is hard on the fish.

you can also buy buffer products but I find baking soda works fine.
110 watts power compacts
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin,

You should have a thorough understanding of your water paramenters before you experiment with pressurized C02 systems and controllers. My guess is that your tank has a very low KH value, or it is possible that you have a set-up problem, but you mentioned that you have callibrated you controller twice. Constant injection of C02 can erode your pH if your KH (buffering capacity) is low. I keep my KH at 5, my tap water has a low KH of only 1.5-2.0, I add baking soda to my water change container to adjust the KH to 5.0. You really need to spend some time reading. Try Rex Grigg's site it has good information, also Steve Hamptons site is a good one. I would turn the C02 off until you are sure of your KH and can use a C02 chart to understand the correct pH value to set the controller to.

Mark
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate your answers. I do admit that I probably should have learned a bit more before I made the "jump" into pressurized systems. I will take your reply to heart and read as much as I can, so when I learn more about it, I can efficiently rum my co2. Thank you very much, yet I still am wondering if baking soda is the only option? Thanks a ton- Austin
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your substrate?
There are some such as ADA AS, Flora Base, or others that can remove KH from the water.

You could always remover the pH controller. Start in the morning at a reasonable bubble rate based on what you have observed, and check back every couple hours to make sure your fish are still acting normal.
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin,
Before doing anything else you need to know your KH & pH and an understanding of how CO2, KH and pH interact.
Here are a few sites to help...
Steve Hampton's Aquarium Plants
Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks
Chuck Gadd's Planted Aquaria
If your KH is too low then baking soda is a practical and cheap method to raise KH...

Fred
jusslaxin28
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've done some serious reading and I understand how KH serves as a buffer to the increase/decrease of co2 in the way thet it won't change the pH dramaticall with or without the co2. I appreciate all of your responses, yet I don't believe removing my controller would be ideal. I would like to just add baking soda every water change to increase my KH. (or whenever necessary) I still am not sure how much I would need to increase the KH by 1 for a 29 gallon tank. Thanks for your responses!
Austin
jusslaxin28
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... I just bought my KH test kit and my KH is at a pitiful1 degree. I suppose I need to increase it by 4 degrees. So approximately how much baking soda would I need per water change for my 29 gallon.
Thanks a ton.
Austin.
Rex Grigg
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the time to read my Guide.

But the answer you seek is:

1 teaspoon of baking soda will raise 13 gallons of water by 4

Semper Fi
jusslaxin28
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all very much! Rex, I read youre guide, it is VERY informative. Very Happy You say add just a little at at time or it will cause problems with youre fish. Is this every time I ad it? Or just the first few water changes because they won't be used to it? Thanks a ton- Austin
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: