Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ammonia foaming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well end of day 3 and my neons look alomost bluer then the ones in my 30 gallon witch are verry healthy so I think that my tank did not get affected by the ammonia well what a break for me I will keep you all updated how the next 4 days go.
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tommarow will be a week and the neons are doing great lovly coler and just healthey looking fish so I don't know if I just got lucky or else the ammonia had the ingretiants wrong so I don't know I'm just verry happy!!!!!
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its ben over a week and I added a couple oto's and a bolivian ram from my 10 gallon and they are doing great I added co2 and I I'm wating on the plants to get here and the water isent foaming or bubbling except my filter being crazy strong I have that problem on a other post but do you think I just got lucky or what please tell me what you think???
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue, I think you got lucky. I once got a little soap in my tank... before I found the wonders of the inter net, so I just did several large water changes and it ended up OK also. Well by OK I mean the current fish(singular died) so I got 2 new ones and put them in the same water and they are still with me 2 months later.
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 70% an a 50% water change and I think its all good well I will keep you all updated
Leepo21
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.06.30(Thu)23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Homebase fine- but with no shaking- if it works for so many without the foam I should think it works with it too. Also won't it settle?
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.07.01(Fri)6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leepo21 wrote:
I used Homebase fine- but with no shaking- if it works for so many without the foam I should think it works with it too. Also won't it settle?

If it contains soap or similar surfactants it can permanently pollute the tank which is why you choose ammonia tha doesn't foam when shaken.
flacmanst
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.09.01(Thu)8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of a fishless cycle using clear ammonia. I think that even if you used ammonia with surficants and detergents you are really only adding a very small amount to the tank AND you repeatedly diluted with the water changes.

Of course, the neon survival rate going forward is the real test, but generally a toxic presence in the tank is rapidly fatal. When I was a kid my friend had a 40gallon cicchlid tank and his little brother dumped Comet detergent or something like that in there and the effects were immediate.
diademhill
Advisors

PostPosted: 2011.09.01(Thu)8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surfactants will prevent the bacteria growing and so defeat the purpose of a fishless cycle plus you don't do water changes during a fishless cycle.

Why take stupid risks?
flacmanst
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.09.01(Thu)11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but in this case it seems to be okay. I would have probably emptied, cleaned, started over.

Don't you do a water change at the end of the cycle? To lower/remove nitrates before introducing fish?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: