Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ammonia foaming
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)18:41    Post subject: Ammonia foaming Reply with quote

OK I just cycled my 72 gallon and I used the clear ammonia that the label just says only ammonia in it and I was reading onther post that said if your ammonia foamed it was not good for cycling and that worrys me because I just got done doing this so I'm wondring if the foaming is alright when you shake the bottle or did I do a big mistake!!!
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I did a BIG MISTAKE I used the ammonia with surfurant is this a really big deal or did I just wreck my whole tank Like I said its already cycled and evrything just havent put fish in it PLEASE HELP
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry. Sad I'm afraid you can't put fish in that tank. The surfactant will kill them. You can try emptying the tank and using vinegar to cut the soap. Clean EVERY part of the tank, all the equipment, everything that will ever contact the tank water. And next time, shake the container of ammonia to see if it suds before you start using it. One of the threads here says that Ace Hardware has the pure stuff.

There are a few other people on the board who have run into the same problem just recently -- do a "Search Board" for "ammonia surfactant" and read their experiences.... if it will make you feel a little better? Sad
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be wary of fragrances, phosphates and other detergants. Most household ammonia is dilluted with distilled water, which is acceptable.
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sucks #$%$^$% but hey thats life and what about my gravel can I just siphon it or what or just leave it its eco complete so I'm not replaceing it $$$$$ but just empty it clean the glass with vinagar and the filter to and fill it back up again and then go to ace hardware to buy ammonia with out surfacent man they should have this on the fishless cycle page saying don't buy that kind of ammonia!!!!!
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK good news I did a 70% water change like you do when your done cycling and I put some of my water in a plastic comtainer and shaked it for 30 sec and no suds no bubbles just nothing so I'm verry happy I put a few neons in my tank last night and they are doing great well I hope this works out!!!!!!
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody???? it must be alright then.
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here is my deal and please tell me if its alright I used ammonia with surfatent in it cycled it now I'm dealing with the tank its been busy anyways I did a 70% water change since I think that would remove any soap in it my water is not soapy or evan slimy I put in 3 neons and they are living happy and if they survive the week I'm going to put the fish in I want do you think this would be alright since I think it would be safe if the neons don't die right?????
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure your ammonia had surfactant in it? It doesn't sound like it did. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your neons!
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the kind from walmart it says clear ammonia and I just checked it again and it says it does have surfatent but like I said no bubbles no suds no slimy naybe I just got lucky I use distilled water for water changes and I use RO Right to put trace elements in the water would that have somthing to do with it I don't know it could???
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: