Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cold Water Fish
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Gilligan
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)18:37    Post subject: Cold Water Fish Reply with quote

What are some good cold water fish that would do well in a 20 gallon tall tank? I know that before we "officially" started keeping fish, we had guppies from my sisters' class that were simply in a goldfish bowl without a heater. I know that fancy guppies are just a bred variant, but would they be alright in a tank of about 70-72 F? I was also thinking a betta would do well although I know that they like heated tanks. Any other suggestions or comments about the mentioned fish above? Thanks everyone!
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

72F is at the low end of the temperature range guppies and bettas prefer. They can live below that, but are likely to be less active and colorful and more vulnerable to diseases, parasites, and infections.

Have you considered coldwater fish? You could fit a fancy goldfish in there -- with proper care and a little patience they get big and beautiful! Or a school of white clouds mountain minnows.

haha, I just went to look up more coldwater options for you. (Found this page.) And guess what's on it? Guppies. Guess they're just that hardy. Wink
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guppies are a tropical fish, and I think they'd be best in temperatures at least 74-78 degrees, so that'd mean you'd have to get a heater, Heaters only cost about 6-20 dollars, depends on what size tank you have.

Bettas also prefer warmer waters, but I think they could live in temperatures 70-72, maybe just a little warmer. I say this because I see people and freinds that have bettas in those small bowls, and vases with no heater or anything, but the room temperature should be fairly warm.

If you were getting cold water fish, I'd suggest you get gold fish, or white clouds since white clouds can deal with room temperature.

10 gallon w/ 3 Guppies, and 23 tiny fry
4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradise fish can deal with a cooler temperature (in the gallery 73 degrees farenheight is listed as their ideal) and so can white cloud minnows.
Gilligan
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link was great ceci9293. I forgot about weather loaches and barbs completely! How would a weather loach do in a 20 gallon tall? All of the fish on that link sound like great candidates for my cold water tank. The fancy goldfish would be cool too as they can be very pretty and I would like to keep this tank simpler and low key. A paradise fish like ambell1616 mentioned sounds really good too. Thanks everyone, your responses were much appreciated!
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get different advice from weather loach keepers here -- all I can tell ya is that a bit of websearching said that minimum tank sizes for them aren't consistent but range from 20 gallons up to 40 gallons. HOWEVER, most sites agreed that they are very sociable and prefer to be kept in pairs or groups. Combine that with the fact that a 20 gallon tall has less surface area than a standard 20 gallon.... I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, when I say fancy goldfish, please note: I wouldn't put more than one in there! You could get away with two if you really stay on the ball with the water quality when they start getting bigger. You could cram many more than that in there but their health would suffer. I know it seems silly to have just a couple of tiny goldfish in such a big tank, but fancies grow quickly and will reach sizes anywhere between 6" and a foot. They also produce lots of ammonia for their size.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: