Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
YoYo loaches as snail control
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only snails my loaches had a problem with were ramshorn snails. They just couldn't get enough suction to suck them out. Of course the loaches were really small at the time. Now that he's larger he may be able to do it. I'll have to get one and see if he can suck it out now.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys/gals,

Just got 3 of the yo-yos. Lovely fish and I hope they enjoy the snails. They are in the main tank now and mostly swim up and down, then cross the tank in mid water. I wonder when they will stay down on the gravel and starting to munch on the snails.
bluepixie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I never once saw one actually eat a snail. The snails just disappeared like magic. I suspect they did a lot of the eating at night (I actually feed mine after I shut out the lights, along with the pleco -- does anyone know if that's a good idea?) So don't worry if it doesn't look like they're doing their job... they're just very modest about it. Wink
KMV021203
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluePixie, I think think the initial reaction to most loaches and from what I know about fish most species tend to be very skiddish at first. I also think that you should slowly introduce the fish into their new home. I leave the fish in the bag from the LPS...air and all and still tied shut. Just for an hour or so put the entire bag on the surface of the water and allow the water temperatures to slowly become the same. Or at least this is my logic behind doing this. Also, I notice most fish get quite nosey when they see something floating on the surface. It more or less gives everyone a chance to say hello while still leaving a bit of a barrier between all parties. Then after about an hour or so I put the new fish in their own breeder pod. When I say breeder pod I mean the inexpensive plastic containers used to catch the eggs that can be suctioned to the side of the tank. I then leave the fish in their respective breeder pod over night and in the morning submerge the breeder pod and remove the top lid allowing the new fish to swim out at his/her own discression. It at least puts my mind at ease when I allow the new fish to acclimate to it's surroundings slowly. This way hopefully the new fish won't go crazy on me and chase it's own shadow or try to hop out of the tank.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw two of them started digging the gravel, I guess they are looking for snails then. Hope to vac out lots od empty shells today. Laughing

The 3rd one is still going up and down in the tank. Hope he is going to be OK. He is a bit bigger than the other two. I guess it takes longer for him to settle down.

So far so good, They are not bothering my discus. They do swim close to the big guys and kind of feel them around the side. Hope they don't start attacking the discus.
turk359
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

My yo-yos constantly bump up against my gourami's....they are just being "playful". The other fish don't seem to mind.

Yo-Yo's are scavengers and they will constantly be digging in your gravel. They are also nocturnal so don't be afraid if you don't see them during the day or if you see them under driftwood or a rock. I drop a pellet or two into the tank before I head to bed at night to feed them. I noticed that they also will clean up any flakes that the other fish missed and ended up on the gravel.

Of the 25-30 snails I counted on my glass before my Yo-Yo's I never saw one meet it's demise. They literaly destroyed all the snails overnight. I even tried putting some more snails that were living in the filter into the tank to give them some more food and I never saw one...talk about good return on your investment....
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: