Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
YoYo loaches as snail control
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)11:15    Post subject: YoYo loaches as snail control Reply with quote

Are they good at eating snails? I think I have some snails in the tank now and would like to control them ASAP. I heard loaches are good at doing that.

Are they OK with discus? Do they go after other fish like cories, otos and rams? I had a zebra loach in the tank before and had to return him because he started chasing my cories in the tank. The cories had damaged fins all the time till I returned the zebra loach.
turk359
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the compatability I have no idea....

But as far as Yo-Yo's eating snails...absolutely...I counted around 24 snails on my glass on Friday morning, I'm sure there were a lot more in the tank than that though. In any case I bought 3 Yo-Yo's Saturday and today I have yet to see a snail and there are a ton of empty shells stuck to the intake of my filter.....problem solved....
Ryan101
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only are they great for snail control but they are very peaceful fish. I have 3 in my tank with rams and they don't bother anyone or are bothered by anyone. They are also they most fun fish to watch as they are very energetic, a great adition to any tank.
turk359
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they are energetic alright....the first night I got them one decided to pull a finding nemo and jump into the filter...

He swam up to the outtake and tried to fight the flow up into it...I think I aided in his escape by taking the cover of the filter off...he hasn't tried to that again...yet...

Mine will stay hot on the tail of my gourami's and bump up against them playfully....

Make sure you have places for them to hide under...driftwood or rocks...I build a cave out of rocks and the like to slip under and hang out there...
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoyo loaches are great at getting rid of snails. I have had them with rasboras, gold barbs, SAEs, and dwarf gouramis with no problems at all. Plus as with most loaches don't be alarmed if it takes a little nap belly up on the bottom of the tank. Shocked
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do YoYos eat Malasian Trumpet snails? I've heard they have too hard of a shell?? Anyone with personal experience?
andiesch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

my yoyos don't seem to mind how hard the shell is because they just suck the snail out of the the end of the shel.
bluepixie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.25(Thu)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got three for the same reason, and I can't tell you how quickly they cleared up the snail problem. I was shocked. Plus they're awesome fish. Cute, full of personality and energy...

They don't seem to bother anyone else in the tank; the only time I've ever seen anything remotely threatening from any of them is when the other fish get too close to their hidyholes. I have one who is clearly dominant over the other two and I sometimes worry that the other two don't get enough food. But they're all still happy and healthy, so I figure they must be eating something.

One of mine has taken to hanging out in the hole in the driftwood, lying upside-down or on his side. Freaks me out every time. He always looks tremendously annoyed when I swoop in to take a closer look, as in: "You -know- I'm just relaxing, why do you keep waking me up?!"
KMV021203
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my YoYo about 2 years ago. At the time he was the smallest fish in the tank at a mere quarter inch. Due to his size we affectionately named him "Small Fry." He shared a 55G tank with 1 Red Tail Shark, 1 Common Pleco, 2 White Cloud Mountain Minnow, 3 X-Ray Tetras, and 2 Clown Loaches (his best buds.) Beautifully colored and very friendly. However, I found him dead in his favorite hiding spot last November. Looking to get another as my clowns are kinda lonely without him. Or is it I that is the lonely one.

Mourning
Kevin
KMV021203
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH YEAH...and for the snails. Sorry got caught up drying the tears. I really didn't have a problem with snails when I bought "Small Fry," however I did when I bought my clowns. Loaches just adore those lil snails.

Kevin
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: