Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Mouth fungus!!!! Please help
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fishfly
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)10:52    Post subject: Mouth fungus!!!! Please help Reply with quote

Hi there..

About two days ago I noticed a faint white line covering the top lip of one of my boesmani rainbows, and at first didn't really think much. His behaviour was fine and was still eating normally. Well over the last few days it seems to have grown or better yet, swollen up!

I've just had a look on the disease section on this site and it looks exactly like what they describe as mouth fungus. It also states that only early identification and treatment can save the fish as the fungus tends to give off deadly toxins.

Can anyone please help me in treating my tank!! !!????

I don't have a quarinteen tank I could put him in. The only two things I have at the moment to treat my water is..Anti Internal Bacteria, which on the cover says it cures diseases such as bacterial gillrot, dropsy, ulcers and septicaemia, and : Aqualibrium, which says its a physiological salt for the aquarium, with built in pH buffer. Would any of these work???????????

I have not had any experience in dealing with any serious diseases or infections in the past. I've had my rainbows for almost 2 years and in that time nothing serious. only one death which seemed for no cause

The rest of my tank details are as follows:

170lt Aqua One set up

4 Boesmani rainbows
3 Red rainbows
1 false siamese algae eater
5 leopard cories
1 Bristlenose
1 flash pleco

I also have 4 small clown loaches which are to be moved into 95gal at the end of this month. And my tank contains a fair amount of driftwood and is reasonably planted. I've considered waiting for my clowns to be moved first but I'm just worried that'll be too long, especially after reading the report.

I'm really worried about my fish Sad , and I would be grateful for any advise, as soon as possible,

many thanks
Fishfly
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pimafix is a gentle anti-fungal treatment. Don't move the clowns until you've cured the fish; you don't want to transfer the disease into your 95 gallon tank. Do lots of water changes; most fungal and bacterial disease is caused by a drop in water quality, so keep the water fresh and clean. Do you know what your water params are like (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?
tropicpr
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Fishfly
Your fish may have what is called Columnaris disease which is not true fungus but a bacterial disease. There are medications like Mardel's Maracyn or maracyn Plus that treat this disease. You have to try and be sure of the disease you are going to treat and choose medication accordingly. Water changes are a must and if you are going to treat with antibiotics or any other medicine must follow directions to the letter. Try to find more information in reference to Columnaris 2and tru fungus because they are different diseases. Columnaris is bacterial and true fungus is of course a fungal disease. make sure your water parameters are stable. You could add 2 tablespoons of salt for every 10 gallons of water. The use of a quarantine tank is of the outmost importance. Try to get at least a 10g quarantine tank.
Fishfly
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

My water parameters are fine

I did a 50% water change 4 days ago and I do one every two weeks.

Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
Ammonia 0
pH 7.2

Its like a little ball of cotton wool on the end of his nose Confused Although he seems to try shake it off every now and then his behaviour has remained much the same and is still eating well.

thanks for the replies Very Happy

fishfly
tropicpr
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FishFly.
From Mardel's fish disease chart:

1) True Fungus - Whitish tuffs of cotton-like material found on the fins, tail and body at sites of injury. <--- Fish has true fungus and/or mouth and eye fungus.
Fungus infection- treat with Maroxy. Use Maracyn-two or Maracyn or Tetracycline tables, or Trisulfa or Maracyn-Plus to prevent secondary infections from bacteria.

Your description may indicate true fungus.

2) Columnaris disease - Greyish-white stringy material covering most of the body, white or grey patches. <--- Fish has Columnaris "BodyFungus"
Columnaris is not a true fungus but a bacterial infection treat with Maracyn.

This information is just to help you in determining what is the cause of the disease and give you an idea of a course of action.
A good book on fish diseases is an excellent investment.
Hope I could help.
BTW, when there are problems with an aquarium, it is a good idea to step up water changes.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbows are notorious for columnaris. Treat with the maracyn antibiotic - do a google search to figure out which one you should pick. Or, do both at the same time, I've done this and it has NOT effected the biological filtration. BUt, test often to make sure.

Oh, probably you should do at least 30% per week water change... I usually do %50. When you remove water you are removing pathogens and giving your fish their best shot at overcoming disease.

Good luck,
Cathy
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think Maracyn was safe to use on sensitive fish like loaches... is it? I'd check the instructions on the box before you add it to the tank. If it's not safe for scaleless fishes, remove the loaches first. You don't want to save one fish just to kill four others. Clown loaches are notoriously sensitive to medications.
Fishfly
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for all your advice Very Happy

My rainbow is still not a 100% but he seems to be getting better. since noticing the growth I've done regular water changes as suggested which has seemed to halted the growth. Due to being extremely busy at work and my unsociable hours, I've been unable to buy any treatment but I'm def doing so tommorrow.

thanks tropicpr for your info, but its not stringy at all and from injury. I've had one fish have this before but it dissapeared after a water change.

This is purely on the mouth and not covering the body. If anything it looks quite condensed and firm, like a hard ball of white material.

I will treat the water tommorrow and see how it goes and will post back on what happens. My fish has never stopped eating though or shown any real signs of dying...I just hope it stays that way............thanks for all your help
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: