Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Plant ferts and lobelia
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fzthomas
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)6:49    Post subject: Plant ferts and lobelia Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have two questions regarding plants in my aquarium.

1. I have an lobelia cardinalis and I've read that those plants need a lot of nutrients and light. Light is not the problem in my aquarium but I wonder if the plant will have enough nutrients.
Does anyone know how the lobelia picks up its nutrients? By roots, stem, leaves,...?

2. Does using ferts such as TetraPlantaMin or TetraFloraPride, who contain a lot of iron, harms the shrimps or not? I think of using some iron rich fert but I'm a little afraid of the effect on my amano shrimps.

Thnx for feedback.
Regards,
Thomas
Georgiadawgger
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lobelia cardinalis is not really a demanding plant. Most aquatic plants have the ability to take nutrients from both roots and the water column (hence their adaptation to the aquatic environment). If light is not an issue, then up your macro nutrients. Shoot for 10-15 ppm NO3 and 2-4 ppm PO4. Add your traces (your Tetra florapride) on a daily or 3x week basis. A litte more info about your tank can help us come up with a good plan for you.

Adding iron will not harm shrimp. Neither will the copper found in most commercial plant fertilizers.
fzthomas
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. I really taught that lobelia was a very demanding plant, but I guess it will do fine. I noticed yesterday that it already developed two new very small leaves at the top and its only in the tank for a week now. Guess it settles good.

I always keep my nitrates around 12ppm but I never measured my PO4. I'll look for a test kit to measure it and see if I need ferts for that or not. If the PO4 is also good then I won't add any ferts (for now).

Thanks also for the feedback on the shrimps. Good to know they won't suffer from ferts.

Regards,
Thomas
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: