Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Killifish Care
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)20:23    Post subject: Killifish Care Reply with quote

I have seen some kind of killifish at my local petsmart and I was wondering how easy are they to take care of? are they aggressive at all?
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick answer, yes they are aggressive.

Long answer, they eat any fish or other life forms that will fit in their mouths which are surprisingly wide when opened wide.

Care is basic, good food, suitable tank mates, not a high flow of water near the top of the tank etc.
They are generally pretty hardy and adapt to a wide range of water chemistry. This means that few folks have to get up in arms about pH, GH or KH for these fish.

Hope this helps.
Illusia
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest what tank mates would be good with killifish. I have had my eye on some but I never got any coz of fear that my current tank mates would bother them (the killis seem so small)
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything around 3 inches in length would be good.

What you are seeing at Petsmart and the advice that is being given is for Golden wonder killies(a aquarium strain of Aplocheilus lineatus). Killifish in general are a very diverse group of fish.

These guys get big(I've seen males I swear looked at least 6 inches, but 3-4 is average) and have surprisingly big mouths for their size. They can eat medium crickets, and little fish like neon tetras. I used to feed mine little fiery skipper butterflies which they would jump and grab. Fish the same size that can take care of themselves but are not aggressive are best. Gouramis, large midwater schoolers. Cichlids like kribs would seem to fit but I had a pair that killed a female golden wonder in a 46 gallon tank.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: